Mackie Spike

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by homerayvaughan, Aug 27, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

Anyone use or have any experience with the Mackie Spike interface with the Traction software? I'm looking for an inexpensive interface to record with. I don't need amp modeling as I will be using mic'd amps.

2. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

never heard of it. what is it?

4. Sanj

Sanj Member

K.... I'll bite :)

It's a USB interface that is made by Mackie. The installation involved loading the driver, and some host software to control it. It also comes with Tracktion (Mackie's recording software).

It provides the ability to record two inputs simultaneously, Line or Mic. Has a headphone out, monitor out, and some Digtal IO too (look at the website for the scoop). What makes it different is that it has a DSP built in that can provide various effects while tracking or mixdown without loading the host computers CPU.

It is fairly easy to use. Some flakiness with the drivers. Nothing that a reboot or some basic poking around wont fix.

Tracktion is great. But please note that the version shipping with Spike is not the full featured version. It's totally usable, but the boxed version of Tracktion comes with a fuller suite of goodies.

I have had a pleasant experience with both Spike and Tracktion.

If you are looking for a firewire interface, then Mackie has a new one out.

Hth.

-Sanj

5. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I evaluated it when I was shopping around but ended up with something different (M-Audio410 into Sonar). Mackie builds nice solid stuff. Traction has a free downloadable demo. I found it well designed and easy to use, but not as full featured as some other applications. For an inexpensive easy way to start laying down tracks, I think it would be a solid choice.

Shawn.

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member