Mad Prof Deep Blue vs. T-Rex Replica

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitargypsy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

OK so I'm looking for a high quality echo-type delay in a stomp box format, and these two keep popping up as probably the best. I am wanting a real full ambient echo/delay to use with some clean tones although I am also told that the deep blue can go well in front of distortion. I'm not married to analog or digital, just whatever sounds better (I know, that's totally subjective).

Can anyone comment on either of these pedals and whether they feel they are worth the investment, as well as their weaknesses? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

- Chris

2. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

This site http://www.thesegoto11.se/ that sells Mad Professor pedals has clips of the Deep Blue Delay compared to T-Rex Replica. Just scroll down and you'll see links to the clips, with and without dist etc.

/C

3. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

Yeah, I've listened to the clips on that site and they both sound great. I'm wondering if there are any owners out there who can give me their own perspective.

- Chris

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

from what Ive heard, the deep blue delay sounds just as good in front of the amp as it does in the loop... that is a huge plus if your amp does not have an effects loop.

5. Craise

Craise Member

I've played both.
    I don't know what it was about the T-Rex...but it just didn't jive with me..
    It sounded and felt lifeless...imho, ymmv. It had some warmth going on..but I found only a few sweet spots that I really liked.
    On the other hand the DBD is so warm and melts with your playing and amp...
    Almost all settings work...even extreme ones... More tape delay sounding...Pick hard and they echos are louder...
    Just some quick thoughts...hope it helps!
    ;)

6. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

very interesting, thanks; the t-rex has a tempo tap switch whereas the dbd does not, right?

7. Craise

Craise Member

yes tap tempo on the t-rex.
    I myself never really used it...
    Best thing to do is play them yourself...Not sure where you live..but if you can find a store...
    or even better network on this fourm and find some cool people that live close to you and get together and do a pedal shootout...
    This way you can try out stuff with your own amp and guitar and compare to others!
    This is how i've come to put my rig together...
    Also check out the Mad Professor tour box thread...not sure exactly where everything is at..but maybe you could get on the 2nd round list and have it sent to you...
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=319815

:dude