Mad Professor Amp - YIKES!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Troubleman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Okay, maybe I'm late to the ball again (as usual), but has anybody actually played one of these things?!?!? The sound clips at the website (www.mpamp.com - clickon "tone") are absolutely sick. There's only one dealer in the US, no prices listed. All that said, YOWSA DAD! I gotta try one of these?

Anybody out there lucky enough to have experienced one?

jb
    :dude

2. scottl

scottl Member

Excellent amp! I dug it a lot! Very very versatile.

Lots of cake, lots of tone.....

Guitarzan on this forum just got one.

3. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I have a much sicker clip than those even ... if you want it ....

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Post it MikeyG. Or send it to me.

EP

5. Troubleman

MikeyG - Now did you REALLY have to ask?:D
    Bring it on, please!
    Someone lessen the shock - how much do they want for the head? Wait, lemme put my helmet and seatbelt on... Okay - how much?

Peace,

jb

6. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The CS-40 head is $5,895.00 list/street price N/A according to the review in the new GP. FWIW, they dig it.

7. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

Nice little review in the latest Guitar Player mag.

8. Troubleman

Eero just emailed me with the price.
    To paraphrase my teenage daughter - "Like, OMG!!!!"
    Stupid money, sick stupid money... Tone to die for, but that's exactly what'll happen one my wife finds out, if I spend that kinda loot on an amp. I could unload lots of equipment.... WHOA!!! The room is spinnin'... It's only a Fuchs and a Two Rock in price - heck, that ain't much - right? RIGHT?!? Tattinger tastes, Bass Ale wallet....

I'm gonna have to content myself with a 2555 Jubilee, a Budda, and a Fuchs for now...
    (saying this, but thinkin - "what could I unload to come up with the money?":confused:

peace,

jb

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Troubleman. . .Dude. . .is this your lucky day or what? AmpVoodoo has one for sale on the emporium. . .only $3650. That's about the same price as a new Matchless DC30...

You can thank me later.

:dude :D :dude :D

10. Troubleman

If you act now, you can save a couple hundred dollars...
    I read the email and my left eye began to tear. I mean my bloody eye stopped workin' briefly upon reading that price. DAAAAANNNGGGG!!!! Obviously I'm far too middle-class in my guitar-toy budget. Am I in the wrong neighborhood - or do I have company here? Is the US dollar suckin' wind that badly against foreign currency? HOLY COW BATMAN!

Okay, that's only three Suhr Strats - not out of the question... But what the hell is the question?!?!?

Whoa!

Peace,

jb (the pauper)

11. Troubleman

Honestly, I was expecting around $2800 - $3300....
    Hmmmm... - $3650. I could almost do that and live....ALMOST. The Mrs would still remove my spleen with a spoon. Is it possible to play when you're "nearly dead"?

Still wincing....

jb

12. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

It really is an amazing amp!! I own the one that was reviewed in the new GP. I can't get over how great this thing is. I'm gonna have a bunch of new clips soon!! Congrats to Bjorn, Harri, and Eero on the great review!!!

Josh

13. Troubleman

I shoulda listened to mom and gone into medicine, but NOOOOOO... I had to be a lab scientist 'cause it's cool to blow things up..... :eek:

I'm starting a savings fund now....

jb

14. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

WOW! I've heard of the amp, but never have checked it out because of the price. I just took a listen to the clips and they are amazing. What an amp! Too bad its not in my budget :(

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

PM sent, or if anyone else wants to host it, email me ....

16. LaXu

LaXu Member

Not really, it's bloody expensive in Scandinavia too and the thing is made here. I'd say it's an amp for people with a much deeper wallet than most. :)

That said, if I won in the lottery I could see myself buying one - because I could. Unfortunately no such luck yet... :jo

17. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

:eek:So, I just bought an almost mint vintage 1965 BF Fender Pro reverb and it isn't even half the cost of the discount used price of that amp...

In fact my two 1965 vintage fenders, my Bandmaster reverb AND my matchless Lighting combined all have a value less than that amp new...

I just don't need (want) anything with that stupid a price tag. I could buy a Rocca and have money left over for effects... wait I wouldn’t even need effects...

COME ON, if your main gig isn't playing guitar and you earn less than a hundred grand a year YOU CAN NOT JUSTIFTY THAT DOUGH!!!!!

I'll take - oh I don't know - a vintage deluxe or a blues breaker, or a bassman or anything that is a half the cost. If you can’t sound good with a tweed deluxe or a bassman you don't need this amp - you need GUTAR LESSONS!
    :moon

18. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I agree with this part of your post:
    "In fact my two 1965 vintage fenders, my Bandmaster reverb AND my matchless Lighting combined all have a value less than that amp new..."

Monetary and utility value. The price is high, extremely high, and frankly too high for me. But this amp is a special thing. I've heard it twice now. The first time it was so low in volume that I was sort of non-plussed,, ehh...? But this last time it utterly beguiled me. I'm haunted, sort of scamming, gassing, thinking my way around in the familiar pattern: "what would I have to give up to nail down one of these puppies" kind of thinking. Dayum!

I'm pretty cynical, have owned the archetypical vintage amps, Fender, Marshall, Orange. Each of them is great in its own way, but the MP combines the ability to mimic lots of the classics but then also has the ability to produce otherworldly gain sounds that just make you grin and can make the hair stand up on your neck, plus there is volume control. Volume control is the Achilles heel of most of the great vintage amplifiers. The HotPlate and other great attenuators really help a lot. But you do give up a significant portion of the magic of those classics when you attenuate.

The MP is just the right thing for some players. And tons of people right here on this board have one hell of a lot more than 6K stacked up in amps that don't touch the magic of the MP to my ears anyway. But it has to match the intentions, commitment and expectations of a given player. If it was closer to 2k I would have one. No question about it. I would never question the wisdom or judgment of a player who chose to spend the money to buy a Mad Professor amp. The craftsmanship is impeccable and the work that has gone into the circuit is sublime.

Johnson likes this.
  19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Not bagging on the amp - just the price.

Johnson likes this.
  20. electronpirate

electronpirate Member