Mad Professor arrives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GREATPHARO, Aug 8, 2005.

1. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Received the Mad professor courtesy of Mikey G have had it for 3 days now and have compared it to about 17 of my 35 high end amps. So far all I can say is AMAZING. This amp is has matched every tone from every amp I have compared it against so far. On top of that it is the quitest amp at idle I have ever had the pleasure of owning or playing.

Here is what it has been compared to so far.

Divided by 13 FTR 37
    Soldano SLO 1BMF
    Bogner SuperShiva
    Bogner Caveman (this amp still has something not quite attainable by the professor but it was close)
    Bogner Fish
    Budda Superdrive
    Fender Custom Tonemaster (modded)
    Bogner XTC classic
    Bogner XTC 100B (again this amp has something the MP doesnt but its close)
    Fender custom vibrolux
    Komet 60
    CAE OD 100 (a little more head room than the MP but the MP is only 40 watts)
    Matchless Superchief

The list goes on. Basically this amp is like a swiss army knife of amps just about every tone you can think of is in there and it does it as good or better than said tone. Anyway, this amp is truly the ultimate recording amp. Will have more resluts in a couple more days.

2. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Rob...
    What's your take on the Classic/100B comparison?
    I tubed 'em exactly the same the other day...I still prefer the Classic. Bigger bottom, not such spike in the mids...
    Don't get me wrong. BOTH are wayyyy better than 101B in my opinion, just maybe my taste sways to the Classic...

3. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Squarehead I too prefer the Classic for everything except for soloing. I can't quite put my finger on it but the 100B just seems like its almost playing me sometimes. It's really no effort. Where as the with the Classic I sometimes feel I have to coax it a little more to get the love.

However, as far as the clean and the blue channels go I think the classic outshines the 100B. But in addition to that I think the Supershiva I have outshines the cleans and perhaps the OD of the Classic.

If I only I could get the red channel of the 100b into my supershiva all would be grand.

Anyway the MP can cop all those tones again with exception to the 100B red solo tone. But it does come close.

4. LaXu

LaXu Member

So, how much was the Mad Professor, if you don't mind me asking?

5. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

More than most less than some. Actually, I got it a very good price. I had almost purchased one before but could not justify its price. I could justify the price I paid. And after comparing it to the other amps I own I could probably justify it at its current retail price.

6. kram21

kram21 Member

could you please tell me what a supershiva is as compared to the shiva
    thank you
    kr

7. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

The super shiva has an extra volume or variable boost function for each channel. Itacts as another gain stage to either boost the seperate channels or act as an individul channel to itself. Its like having a shiva with 3 channels the 3rd channel being very overdriven much like an XTC. Just not quite the red channel of the 100b its a little more compressed like a 101. It also has a couple of switches on the front panel which change the overall eq curve of the amp.

8. kram21

kram21 Member

thank you so much,i have a shiva with 6l6 which is really good for classic rock
    kram21

9. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Yep I have a 6l6 shiva also. I like the cleans on it but I prefer my el34 shiva for overdrive sounds. Both are exceptional amps though.

10. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

don't need to imagine just click HERE

Listen to the low end in that SRV shuffle clip. Blows me away ...

11. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Yep...
    I agree the red on the 100B is the solo channel that rules.
    I checked to see if Bogner does that gain thing to Classic for the red channel.
    They only do that mod to the 101B's...:(

keith

12. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

I bought a mad professor off the gear page a few months ago and I have been really enjoying it. There are so many great tones in this thing it is mind blowing. I was really impressed with the high gain sounds you can get out of the abnormal channel. Super high gain but without the buzz I normally associate with higher gain amps. The feedback and bloom on this amp are unrivaled.

I think the focus switch and the three different ways you can adjust the treble really are what separates this amp from others. I can even cop bruno cleans with this amp. Of course it eats up BJF pedals.

I have a tone tools 1x12 on order and a scumback 12" 60 watt speaker that I am going to pair it with.

FYI I bought it for 3500. No regrets about it 3 months later.

Mike

13. GREATPHARO

GREATPHARO Senior Member

Hey Mike,

Did you happen buy yours from RJMUSIC? I was all set to buy that one but got cold feet at the last minute. Just curious is yours leather or tolex?

14. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

This Mad Professor amplifier head that GREATPHARO's just purchased is very close to me as I was in possession of the mighty MP #004 for about 3 month's time. This particular amplifier has graced two FL Tone Fest events and as the end result blew everybody away with its sheer versatility, tonal prowess and distinctly original voice. This is a highly versatile amplifier that does anything you ask of it (in every possible musical genre) with very little effort too.

The MP's extra controls are very intuitive and easy to master once you grasp the concept of just why they are there. The first tone I got with ease was a very touch sensitive yet slightly distorted old school jazz guitar tone (a la Herb Ellis with Oscar Peterson's Trio as heard on the "Live at Zardi's" record from 1955). For those of you who may have tried to get this special tone, I can tell you straight up that this isn't at all easy to achieve with most modern amps of today. As a matter of fact, I was STUNNED when I first heard that glorious tone coming from the 112 cabinet I had used with the MP head and my archtop guitar.

The MP is an amplifier that is in its own elite league--there is nothing remotely similar to it on this planet in a master volume amp because the MP actually doesn't sound like a master volume amplifier at all. The muscular boost feature on it is worth the price of admission alone. Just ask Shea Moxon! He was mighty impressed when he played with it for a hour or so. It's worth every penny IMHO. Bravo, BJ! This is the stuff that legends are built upon.:dude

15. kram21

kram21 Member

Greatpharo
    How do you compare the gain on the bogner xtc with ath t of the shiva 6l6 or el34? Is there just more gain or is there a frequency difference,also,can you compare the cleans on the xtc and the shivas
    thank you

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

kram,

again, there's no comparison. you're comparing apples vs. apples dipping in champagne sabayon.

the Bog sounds terrific on its own, but the MP takes it all a few levels higher. cleans on the MP are practically voxy with a fat fender like midrange. and the overdrive is thick, meaty, chunky. makes the Bog cleans sound almost 2D, and the overdrive almost buzzy and fizzy.

bottom line, the MP will ruin you.

17. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

LOL RUINED IS RIGHT Joker!!!

18. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

Dude indeed! The MadProfessor is hands down the best amp I have ever heard. The top-end is just silky... there is nothing else like it. Mad Props, for the Mad Prof.

Chris

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

stop you guys! I can't handle the remorse!!!

All that said, no single amp works for everyone.... I was finding I was playing other amps more... which doesn't detract from the amp in any way, just a preference...

20. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Not to derail the thread, but Mikey- what amps currently remain in your stable, and why? Curious.
    b.