Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay - really better in front of driving amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by big jilm, Mar 21, 2015.

1. big jilm

big jilm Member

Hey, guys -

I have gone from a Splawn with an FX loop to a Swart without one. I am used to running my delays in a loop. Well, my delay sounds like crap in front of my already driving non-master volume amp.

The Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay claims to be made to run in front of a distorting amp. Is it true? Does it sound better than other delays used in this way? Why?

What say you? Should I get me one of dem dere Mad Professors?

big jilm

2. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

I bought one for this very reason, and found that the claims were greatly exaggerated. Did it sound better than the Carbon Copy in front of my amp with the drive channel engaged? Yes. Did it sound a lot better? No. Did it sound like the descriptions I had read so many times? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? Nope.

To be honest, I didn't even think it was a very good-sounding delay. Sold it.

Just one guy's experience.

3. playthecray

playthecray Member

I have had my DBD (PCB) for a while now. I think the pedal sounds nice in front of an overdriven amp. I like to use the DBD as an always on pedal and my settings are pretty subtle: level: 8:30 repeat: 8:30, delay:1:30. It adds a nice ambience to my tone and when used in this manner I prefer the DBD over the CC that I previously owned. One thing I noticed about the DBD is the sensitivity with the level control. Higher settings on the level control will cause the repeats to distort and lose character. At that point the pedal becomes unmusical for me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  4. big jilm

big jilm Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. My TC Flashback x4 does not sound good to me in front of my overdriving Swart, so I want to find something that works well enough. Mostly ambient sounds for me too, nothing too trippy.

Any ideas?

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Belle Epoch. Check it out.

6. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

The DBD sounded better in front of my overdriven amp than my modded big chip DD-3, but I much prefer it, and any delay, after dirt. So I'm now running a variation of a wet/dry rig and couldn't be happier. I use the DBD for an always on touch of ambiance and love it's full, round tone. While it's not a tape sim pedal, when I compared it to a real echoplex it did cop a lot of the tone. Maybe not as big sounding, but still had that clear, round tone of a well maintained tape unit. To me it captured that part better than some of the pedals that are marketed as emulating tape.

With any delay before a dirty amp, you'll most likely have to keep the level of the repeats lower because the compression of the amp will level out the volume difference between your dry signal and wet. A delay in front of a dirty amp seems to smear the guitar's sound and create this weird artifact that I find hard to describe and really don't like. One other hand, some love delay into dirt.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

DBD is a great sounding pedal, but from what I recall the input was pretty sensitive to volume and if you give it too much the repeats will distort. Might be part of the "magic", but keep an ear out for it.

8. GUAL

GUAL Member

Agree. I think the "magic" is when you dont overload the pedal

9. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

I have run a dbd through the front end of my amps for many years with absolutely no problems.

10. Orwells Ghost

Orwells Ghost Member

Not better. Better than most. Still sounds best coming after a dirt pedal imo

11. big jilm

big jilm Member

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I have some thinking and youtube watching to do. That Belle Epoch looks really awesome too.

12. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

This what I use the belle epoch for. I love it. Def try one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. meowmers

meowmers Member

Belle Epoch.

Although the claims about "sounding good" in front of a cooking amp is really weird, since you get to dial in how much you want with a mix control

14. earthmud

earthmud Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same here.