Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by flyingvees, Feb 26, 2008.

1. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Okay a little disclosure first..I met the MP guys at namm and played the pedals and got to know them...Dont want anyone to think this is a sales pitch or anything I just happen to know these guys now.

Anyway I never used a delay and never liked their sound on me. I found most to be to difficult to manipulate through the show and didnt feel like my phrasing or playing style was complemented by one. So I try the dbd at namm and found it pleasing to the ear but wasnt sure if I needed one because even though I never used one live I have bought probably 5 over the years trying to make it happen for me. All I can say is that the mp is the delay for dummies..I know there have been alot of people review the sound and specifics but my goal here is to say that I took it out of its box and played with for about 20 minutes and now its attached to my board for good. I cant believe how easy it is to control and I like the small footprint as well. I wont go over the same stuff that has been covered but it does quite a bit and I really like it. So for you guys who never really tried one or dont like complicated stuff I think you might dig this pedal.

2. onemind

onemind Member

I have a love hate relationship with delay as well (and fuzz but that's another story) The DPD seems to be a keeper for me as well. I think it's sonic resemblance to tape delay makes it become a more integral part of my sound, somewhat similar to the PCM41 for me.

3. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

I own one - nice delay....

4. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

5. teXum

teXum Member

Does this mean you got to play the new Mellow Yellow tremolo as well? Would love to know some more about the sounds of this pedal.

6. Tellmetime

Tellmetime Member

I agree. It's a very good sounding and simple to dial delay!

/Joakim

7. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Yes I played them all...The trem is very useful and can be made transparent or full on roly poly...I think its more of a stock fender trem for use with any amp..Their new fuzz is a monster as well...It and the Keeley are my next choice to make....But I can say that after meeting Bjorn he truely is the Mad Proffesor.....:dude I am also working on getting a sky blue overdrive...its pretty pimp as well.

8. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

I've got one too! Bought it about 2 weeks ago. It's a really nice delay pedal. the highs roll of nicely. Was a little concerned about it sounding too much like my other delay, a Carl Martin Delayla XL, also a nice pedal, known for its "analog" and warm sound. But they don't sound the same at all. Now the Delayla sounds a lot more steril and clean, compared to the DBD. Well, I too love my DBD, bought it because of the simple operation, small footprint, and nice sounds (obviously...).
    b.r. andershoeg

9. drod2045

drod2045 Member

so basically, the delayla isnt anywhere enar as good sounding as the DBD? i was interested in this pedal but it seems like its reviews arent that strong

10. teXum

teXum Member

So the Mellow Yellow can capture the sweetness and organic quality of the Fender amp tremoloes/vibratos. Sounds great!

One more question, if you don't mind: do you think the Mellow Yellow tremolo has the fatter, warmer sound of the tweed/brown era trems, or the more polished, still very organic sound of the blackface era trem/vibrato?

11. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

:rotflmao

12. andershoeg

andershoeg Member

That is not my opinion. I think the DBD is a really, really nice delay, dark/brown sounding. The Delayla is also a really, really nice delay, but bigger, brighter/cleaner sounding, but not "clean" like an all digital delay. The don't sound the same at all.
    So the Delayla is sounding really good too, but with a different flavour to the repeats, if you can say that :eek: I can really recommend that pedal too!
    b.r. andershoeg

13. drod2045

drod2045 Member

sorry to sound like i was putting words in your mouth. good to hear...though i wish i would read some delay reviews that would say "this is just flat out not good" cause there are so many flavors of love out there!!

14. playon

playon Supporting Member

+5 on that, it's the one delay that works but doesn't seem too obtrusive.

15. MartinC

MartinC Member

I read about these a while back, and seem to remember reading that their design is such that you can put them in front of an amp that's overdriving and still get a good sound. Can anyone validate that? Anyone A/B'd that scenario with other delay pedals and heard the DBD do better?

Also, how do they hold up in serial effects loops that are line level rather than instrument level loops?

Thanks

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i was about to come in here and tell you guys my experience with this pedal, but you guys are so well informed all of the time that the only thing u left out for me to say is that mine was blue.

It is a great sounding delay.

17. teleus52

teleus52 Member

Even it's not pure analog delay, for me the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay is the perfect "compromise"! It's one of the best delay IMHO. The pedal is analog but the delay effect is digital, so this one is so warm and spacey like an analog. It replace my Maxon AD-9 analog delay on my board cause the tone is better and I need at most 600 ms.:AOK

I compare it among a Maxon AD999 and a T-Rex Replica in a music store (isolated room) and the DBD win my heart!

18. guitargypsy

guitargypsy Member

Pourquoi t'as choisi le BDB au lieu des autres - le Maxon AD999 et T-Rex Replica? Je suis en train de chercher un delai analogue et je peux pas décider entre les trois que tu as essayé! -Chris

19. teleus52

teleus52 Member

J'ai préféré le DBD pour les raisons suivantes, touyefois c'est toujours une question de préférence personnelle comme tu sais. Vas-y avec ton coeur, écoute attentivement les tonalités reproduitent et ce sera le bon. Bonne chance.
    • son très riche et profond
    • délai de 600 ms
    • pédale de petite dimension
    I choose the DBD because it was for me the best one. You must listen to the tone and choose with your heart but it's always a question of personnal preference. I take it for those reasons:
    • rich and spacey tone (organic)
    • 600 ms of delay
    • small footprint

20. onemind

onemind Member

I got to fool around a bit last week with the Trem SBOD and Fuzz. Excellent pedals, The trem had the same organic feel as the DPD, 'part of the sound' rather than a sonic layer on top of thing, Tonally it resembled a good Fender's amp trem, (even closer to a Savage Macht trem, more rounded, less 'helicopter')

The Fuzz (and I've stated before not an easy effect for me to love), seemed to have something special going on....the original signal and fuzztone seemed to interact in interesting and quite musical ways.

I'm becoming a fan. (though one day I hope to be an air conditioner)