Mad Professor Experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GregS, Mar 2, 2006.

1. GregS

GregS Member

Hi all. I'm seriously considering a Mad Professor amp. If you have purchased one, please let me know why. If you have sold one, I'd really like to know why. Given the price of admission, this isn't an amp that's easily moved.

Is this another "amp of the month"? Or, is this really something special?

Great cleans?

Great rodded Marshall tones?

Great in-between tones?

That's what I'm after at reasonable volume (home volumes not gigging volumes).

2. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

Not sure if I would buy the MP for at home volumes but it can do that with the built in attenuator. The mad professor is the ultimate studio amp, with a bit of tweaking I can get any tone I want out of it. From warm 50's jazz tones to 80 heavy metal tones using the abnormal channel with the FET option. I got mine used for 3500 off the gear page and I would never sell mine. It does everything I want in an amp and more.

Mike

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Hey Mike,

Where are you located in NYC? I am in Queens, and would love to check out the MP. I have a few toys that I could share as well (Constellation, SLO, Carr Rambler) Let me know if you are interested (either via e-mail or PM).

Thanks,
    Dave

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Guitarzan (Josh) has one as well.
    Cool amps.

Best, Pete.

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Best amp I've ever owned! I'm still pinching myself every time I fire it up, I can't believe I have it. It will do all the tones you are looking for and then some!!

Josh

6. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Don't own one, but I wish I did. I played one last year at NAMM, didn't get it. Couldn't get my head around it. Played it again this year? ******, I GOT IT!

The amp has everything - cleans, dirties, everything in between.

7. rocketride

rocketride Member

Hi Greg!

I live in Sweden and have been a mad professor owner for about half a year.
    I'm a pro touring guitar player and I do a lot of studio and live gigs and amps I've owned/still own include Matchless DC30, VOX AC30tb-66, Marshall plexi 50w-68,Bogner ecstasy, Carr slant6v, Ampeg V4-72, Fender Super reverb-65.
    The way I really got conviced buying the amp is that I got to borrow one for a couple of gigs, and I must say that that's when you really understand what the amp is all about. Sure, it's a lot of money but the truth is (as far as I'm concerned) no other amp can make what this does.
    What it has is a projection of tone that makes you hear yourself better and that's without boosting the treble a lot. With, for example, a VOX I feel it's the treble that let's the guitar cut through but with the professor it's more the low mids, which let's you dial in a warmer sound and still be heard.
    (and you keep the front of house mix guys really happy!).
    Also the amp responds to pedals better than the other amps I've had and my Chicago Iron octavia never sounded better...also I use a lot of BJF pedals and that's a decision I made after a lot of A/B tests with the boutique pedals i had on my board. Without mentioning any brands I replaced a lot of the ones I had, including replacing a univibe clone for the mint green minivibe which I feel, though it isn't a univibe clone, doesn't alter the guitar tone as much as a univibe and is a more subtle effect.
    When I use the amp live I stay mostly on the clean channel and when I go for different shades of fuzz or distortion I go for pedals.
    The EQ on the amp is really special and though it's really versatile you can put the controls wherever you want and you won't get a bad sound out of it. You have a tone balance control that sets the whole mid EQ of the amp and then you can further dial in with standard eq controls.
    The way I feel about the sound is that though you can tweak it to have the response of a VOX or a blackface I would say it's original and not a clone.
    Please feel free to ask if you have more questions!
    Regards
    Happy owner of Mad Professor

8. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Sounds really cool, how do you feel about the dirty sounds the MP gets?
    I'm thinking the more heavily gained saturated sounds for rock.
    Thanks

9. GregS

GregS Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking at at used one that was for sale for $4,999. A couple of days later, the same guy has jacked the price up to $6,499! Oh yeah, it comes is a custom baby blue color.

Anyway, it does sound like a cool amp. I'll just have to wait until another used one is available from a sane seller.

10. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Check out the emporium here from time to time. Somebody had one for sale last week for $3650!

11. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Nah... read the threads.. that wasn't real
    Also was the 4999.00 Phil in NJ? His ads have ALWAYS been really bizarre
    ERIC

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I AM NOT EVEN SLIGHTLY JEALOUS!!!!!!:D

jb

13. rocketride

rocketride Member

I think the low and high gain sounds of this amp are really incredible with a definition rarely heard. You can go anywhere from Keith (straight into the loop with a boost pedal is a good trick for that) to Van Halen to Metallica if you'd like. I guess you already checked out the samples at mpamp.com...:RoCkIn

14. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Sure have, they smoke:RoCkIn
    Thanks for the imput.

15. Lars Bjurhall

Lars Bjurhall Member

Hi. i`m an pro guitarplayer and play a lot of different styles of music. I have had the Professor for about five mounths. The best thing with this amp is that you have so much control over the dynamic respons, distortion, compression and freq of the amp. You can dial in so much different sounds. The Professor is more like a tool to your own sound. I have played vintage amps for a long time and liked it offcourse but they are always fragile and inpolite. If you play alot and do alot of gigs the Professor is very trustful and wount let you down. When people ask me how it sounds i use to say that depends on how you dial it and want it to sound. You can go, Fender blackface, Marshall plexi, Jtm45, Basman, Vox. It`s all in there. But i have to say that the thing that i like most are the great dynamic response the amp have. Right now i am experiment with speakers to it. It sounds good to any speakers but i specially like it with pre rola G12h Greenbacks. I also have the new Mad professor small 412 cab on the way to me. Nice 412 cab in smaller size. I`m gonna put four G12H in there or two Pre rola G12H and two eminence Redfang. The amp is also very pedalfriendly so that is good. You also always here yourself through the mix In a band situation. I think that this is the ultimate giging amp and studioamp. If you are a bedroomplayer the Professor is good to but it is in real bandsituations that you notice the differents from most other amps.
    I use the Normal channel and then go with pedals but you can use the Abnormal channel and get higher distortion as well just from the amp. Try the amp, think you love it!
    Regards.
    L.

16. GregS

GregS Member

Yes, it was Phil. It seems very strange to me to advertise an amp for one price and jack it up by $1,500 two days later. I'll stay away from him.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah, that guys been on H-C forever, hawking 30th Anniversary Marshalls for insane prices. Well pretty much all his prices are insane. I know he's whacked, cause he raves about the Obrien amps :)

Eric, what was the deal about the MP for sale? I know Tradarama said it fell through, but didn't elaborate. (That one was mine - shouldn't have sold it, wouldn't mind getting it back).

The MP is a great amp.... I posted a clip of it in a recent thread ...

18. Lars Bjurhall

Lars Bjurhall Member

Hi, I'm a pro guitarplayer and play a lot of different styles of music. I have had the Professor for about five months. The best thing with this amp is that you have so much control over the dynamic response, distortion, compression and freq(frequency response) of the amp. You can dial in so many different sounds. The Professor is more like a tool to your own sound. I have played vintage amps for a long time and liked it of course but they are always fragile and unreliable. If you play alot and do alot of gigs the Professor is very trustworthy and won't let you down. When people ask me how it sounds I usually say that depends on how you dial it and want it to sound. You can go, Fender blackface, Marshall plexi, Jtm45, Bassman, Vox. It`s all in there. But I have to say that the thing that I like most is the great dynamic response the amp have. Right now I am experimenting with speakers to it. It sounds good with any speakers but I especially like it with pre rola G12h Greenbacks. I also have the new Mad professor small 412 cab on the way to me. Nice 412 cab in smaller size. I'm gonna put four G12H in there or two Pre rola G12H and two eminence Redfang. The amp is also very pedalfriendly so that is good. You also always hear yourself through the mix in a band situation. I think that this is the ultimate giging amp and studioamp. If you are a bedroomplayer the Professor is good to but it is in real band situations that you notice the differences from most other amps.
    I use the Normal
    channel and then go with pedals but you can use the Abnormal channel and get higher distortion as well just from the amp. Try the amp, I think you love it!
    Regards.
    L.

19. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

Now, if only Bjorn would be willing to take one for the team and lower his prices, due to the unflattering exchange rate, Id be able to afford one... c'mon Bjorn, you dont *really* need to feed your family, do you?

20. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

It's not just the exhange rate, they are 5100 euro's in Europe and UK.