Mad Professor for Heavy Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MesieBooga, Mar 6, 2006.

1. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I'm considering a Mad Professor head.
    Most of the threads on this board have stated the MP is really not a Heavy Rock/High Gain amp. (Diezel, Mes a Rectifier,Marshall).
    Has anyone found out differently?

2. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

They're right. Gets up to hard rock levels, not a real modern sounding amp. But fantastic sounding for everything b4 that ... throw a wreck and a dumble into a blender, that's what the MP sounds like to me....

3. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

That should be cool!:Devil

4. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Depends what era "Heavy Rock" your talking about.
    If your looking for Modern heavy rock to Metal I'd say there are better choices.
    If you are looking for old school hard rock, the MP has got that covered and so much more.

5. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Mad Professor for Light Wallet!

6. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

One of the coolest amps on the planet, but it's definitely not a gain beast like a Recto or a Herbert. It'll do 80's and medium-high gain stuff like Alice In Chains really well, not to mention an amazing array of clean, semi-clean and crunch tones.

7. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Cool guys thanks! I should be getting the amp in a few days, I decided to take the plunge!
    My main amps now is a Marshall 2204 Master Volume with an Overdrive/Mod. But the past month I've been using an 18 watt 1974X into a 4x12....Very Classic Crunch.
    I'm sure this MP will be cool! I prefer to go direct in with no FX lately and have been rolling the volume down for clean for a few months with Marshalls. I just need something with more low end and a little more modern than the '74X.

8. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Congrats on the new amp, The MP is high on my list. Let us know how you get on with it.

9. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

I will have to unload a lot of nice gear now. 1974X and matching cab, Fender LTD Reissue Relic Bassman etc.

10. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Well I got the amp and needless to say I am loving it.:AOK

Here is a short clip (need Quicktime to see it)
    I have the gtr volume knob 8-9 at start, rolled down to almost nothing for the clean, and full on after that until the end.

11. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

It set up with a lot of preamp gain and the power suck off. It seems more punchy that way. I've been experimenting with using more Master Volume and some Power Suck, however it seems better the other way. (for Modern Rock)

12. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Oh yea the Abnormal input.:)

13. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Todd. Great little clip. That amp sounds really good:JAM

14. BJF

BJF Member

Hi MesieBooga

First I'm happy to note that you enjoy the Blue and I enjoyed listening to the clip. Thank you, very well done

To get deepest and firmest bass run Powersuck at Arena. Powersuck introduces some sag to the sound much like the amp reaching powerlimit - this depends also on speakers.
    What speakers are you using ?

Personally I'd tend to set Master around 1 oc and meet with preamp to the point where distortion is controlled by picking force, though I dare say you made a fine example of volume control

Engaging FET position also firms things as this also alters other things in amp to hang on in there with heavy gain.

Shoot me a mail at bjorn@mpamp.com if you ever need any technical assistance:BEER

Regards
    BJ

15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

That sounds great. Thanks for the clip. Very unique sound which I always think is a great thing.
    :BEER

16. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Thanks Bjorn! Nice amp! Seeing this amp in person is really something else. And when I opened up the back I was happy to see all the Bias adjustments right there! Very nice!:dude

I'm running an assortment of speakers right now. 2 4x12's with V30's,65's,70's and an EV. (X pattern's)

The FET position is great except it sounds solid state to my ears, so I leave it on the Tube setting. Still PLENTY of Gain.

I will continue to try more Master Power Tube dist. I thought I had is set up like that until I went back and saw my original preamp dist clips which sounded better!:NUTS

17. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

Thank you!

To be honest I'd run tube setting and sort of the same amount of gain as you.
    Oh and I do realy enjoy the feedback ( took some thought to make that feedback playable)

FET position is there for superhigh gain and also for single coils heavy gain.
    Part of very high gain is that it sounds better defined as in solidstate, though actually in the FET position the distortion is still all tube.
    This is also footswitchable on your amp, come to think of it, but yea, this amp is about the sound of tubes

There's a specific 'rectifier' function in the preamp tubes I wanted to get rid of in the FET position
    ( this has nothing to do with powersupply - just a tubefunction)
    to allow tight response
    I thought it also funny to add this feature in Abnormal mode as something of this goes beyond and differently.

Many fine speakers there and you know it's funny to hear someone else play
    your amp- also the distorted rythm guitar was what once convinced me to take up the guitar.

Anyway I hope this amp will deliver much fun and inspiration.

Regards
    BJ

18. MesieBooga

MesieBooga Member

Distortion is why I play guitar too... Power Chords!:BEER Lot's of great options to mess around with on this great amp! Thanks again!

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Bjorn, so why is it called FET?? To me that implies a Solid State chip. There really isn't?

The reason I ask is, I just picked up a Jubilee Marshall (uses diode clipping). I have to say, for this much gain, it has incredible note articulation. You name an odd chord voicing, the Jubilee handles it fine under high gain, with no mush.

You seem to be implying that SS can help in note definition under high gain applications. Is that true?

I always thought the FET input was solid-state (at least somewhere in the signal path). So I was beginning to think there was a pattern here, and a good one ... I'm not a tube snob, what sounds good, sounds good, period.

Curious.

BTW, those MP clips, on the other thread, while very good, don't really capture the magic of the MP, to my ears. It actually sounds much better, I think ... the ones Geetarpicker did are much smoother. In those other clips, I notice something similar to the furriness a tweed amp can get when driven hard. That's one very cool aspect of the MP, you can dial in a ton of tones. One of the best EQs in any amp, period. Dean set it up to get a slightly broken up 50s Jazz tone, and yes, it does that very well too.

I'm glad to see these amps finally getting some major discussion. Not sure why it's taken so long for the word to get out ....

20. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I missed Todd's clip when I last posted....

Yeah, that tone is what I remember .... that's pretty spot on .... good recording. Those video cameras do pretty well, considering ...