Mad Professor...is it BETTER than a Two Rock or

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tradarama, Jan 13, 2006.

1. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Komet or Matchless or Bogner? Someone tell me why I'd pay $5k for it or even $4k for it? Is it like getting a Two Rock and a Komet for the price of one? Is it unique enough to justify (ala Dumble Trainwreck). Is it just plain rare? Is it the pretty cabs? Let's try a relative value approach to this thing. I mean a VW Bug is a great car at its price, a steal at $10k and a ripoff at $100k...let's try that approach with this odd amp.

2. scottl

scottl Member

Amazing amp! If the amps you mentioned are worth the $4k or $5K numbers.... THen this amp most certainly is! I played it a bit at NAMM and it is a KILLER. So versatile with feel out the wazoo.....

3. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

Best amp I have ever played. Hands down. The top end is just so sweet, and as Scott said, it's got a very dynamic feel. Only downside is that you might need two of them for a live situation as there is no switching.

Chris

4. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The amp not only sounds great, it is a work of art, modern industrial whatever you want to call it. It is easily the most detailed amplifier craftsmanship I've ever seen. I'm not claiming to have seen everything please, but this amp is a unique object. I'm not the in the target market for it, more inclined to a raucous Marshally thing usually, but it is as well made, flexilble and good sounding as I've seen.

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Um. What is this amp?

EP

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

One of the Best amps I've ever played. Only wish I could afford one, and that it had Reverb!!!:jo

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

"Better" is in the ears of the beholder. I've owned Komets, Two Rocks, and a Mad Professor and they all sound & feel different. Worth their pricetag?....only you can answer that question ;).

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

How much is a MP? Is it more than a new TR? Obviously at new prices, a TR is a lot more than a Matchless or a Bogner (although perhaps similar if you are talking used prices).

Is the MP in another bracket even higher?

Evan.

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I checked out their website yesterday and was amazed at the SRV sounds that the guitarist was getting. I've never been able to get close to that sound. Of course, I don't have a Mad Professor, Dumble or even a Fender amp. Come to think of it, it's really hard to try to cop SRV on a Matchless or Bad Cat.

10. Merlin

Merlin Supporting Member

Is this the next entry in the "amp of the month" club?

11. LaXu

LaXu Member

I don't know about you but I'd have a hard time spending that much on any amp.

12. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

If I remember correctly, I think at Frankenstrats last tone fest the Mad Professor was a hit, but I never heard much about it after that.

-Rich

13. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

blockhead 50...HOW 4d is this thang?????????????????

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Never heard one, but saw one. Sure was purty. Built in Sweden, I believe. Was told, yet unconfirmed, that they're made by the guy who also builds the BJF pedals (Sea Blue, Honey Bee, et. al.). Makes sense on paper.

15. FredW

FredW Member

Is it 5k with the speaker cabinet? I can't find anything about the speaker cab

16. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

17. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

the cleans ans slo/other seem to be there...but for me most rock i play is marshall vein....albeit i dont play marshalls much...once in a while ill borrow a 72 :RoCkIn superlead..

18. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

great..but for me..i prefer different amps..rather than a do it all..i think overall the best single amp that does everything is a RACK slo...

19. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

the major competing brands. At best a personal preference choice but not the next coming of the Dumble.