Mad Professor LGW vs. Greer Relic Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ndtealmusic, Jan 20, 2015.

1. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Both pedals are TS derivatives, and both purport to do pretty much the exact same thing. Added gain, shifted lower midrange emphasis, diminished honkiness....are these essentially identical pedals circuits/tone-wise, or are there other differences, subtle or otherwise?

Just curious for curiosity's sake. Not looking to buy anything....right now.

2. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

They are different. The Greer is more traditional to a TS with a 4558 IC, and more traditional tone control.

The LGW has a TLC272 chip which has a little different character to it. Also, the body control (a concentric dual pot) is not set up like a typical tone control at all.

I like tube screamers, and tube screamer clones. I LOVE my Little Green Wonder. It is in the same realm as a TS, but definitely unique and in a good way for me.

3. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

I remembered the body knob just after I posted that. I know that acts different than a typical tone control. I've never been real big on TS pedals, but the LGW definitely intrigued me, being called "a tube screamer for people who don't like tube screamers," and whatnot.

4. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

It was true for me. I like Tubescreamers (at least I think I do) but I have gone through a whole bunch of clones and TS-inspired builds and none have stuck on the board for a very long time. I always think I can do better, which might be partly due to the huge amount of TS flavors there are.

The LGW is different enough from a TS that it really stands out, and it works really well for me. I like that it is crunchy but still really smooth on the top end. It also stacks really well without getting too nasaly or harsh. It took a little getting used to, and the Body control was a bit strange at first getting used to, but I am very happy with it now.

5. slowth

slowth Member

I've had both.

The LGW sounds a lot smoother than the relic to me. The LGW I liked with really low gain, pushing instead with the vol, the Greer I always felt like I wanted to really push the gain cos it was so aggressive, sounded big and snarly further up the gain.

To me they're quite different. I realized I liked pushing the vol rather than gain.

I'm waiting on the Wampler clarksdale. Looks like that one could do well both ways.

6. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Don't know the LGW but the Relic is amazing with single coils and P-90s into a Swart AST-Pro. It stacks extremely well with most anything.

I run Dynacomp > Soul Food > Timmy > Relic and I can't stop smiling.

I didn't like it as much with a DRRI, Maz 18, or STR-Trem. This surprised me. Note: I still liked the pedal with those amps just not nearly as much.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

Pardon my ignorance, but Swarts are based on vintage Fender amps, correct?

8. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I concur. My LGW is my main OD.