Mad Professor Mighty Red

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fusionshred, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

The choices among good overdrive and distortion pedals is overwhelming. I've been trying to achieve a relatively specific tone which, as a quick reference, is exemplified in the many videos of Guthire Govan playing through a small Cornford combo, such as this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J503OvHWKko

Understanding that recording compromises tone and that tone is in the fingers and all that stuff, yada yada yada... if you listen to this example:

http://www.mpamp.com/tone/MRDSampleLead1.mp3

it kind of comes close, I think. Anyone have any experience with this pedal... or can you point me in the direction of something that will achieve the tone I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!
    T

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I can't see the video right now, but what are you after? I have the Mighty Red. It's a great distortion unit with much to do with the JCM800 kinda tone, charactarized by an almost cocked wah tone. Especially with my Vox style amps.

FYI, the BJF Dyna Red Distortion and MRD do seem to be based on the same platform. But I do like the DRD better, it has a nicer, flatter EQ IMO.

3. Fusionshred

Thanks for the info. Interesting about the DRD. Also interested in the MI Crunch Box. It's really hard to describe what I'm going for, except if you hear most of those Guthrie Govan clips on youtube. It's a Cornford of some kind. Not exactly the JCM800 tone. I did try a Crunch Box today and it was all about that VH tone, which was really cool! More punch and drive than an OCD, I think. The OCD is too scooped for that Guthrie tone, I think. UGH!

Please help! :eek:

4. Joses

Joses Member

I'm afraid I can't view the video either (at work now). But for what its worth, I have a Mighty Red...and I chose it over the DRD. I borrowed a mate's DRD for about a month and I was extensively ABing them almost daily - after that month, I sent the DRD back to him and stuck with the MP :)

I find the MP sounds a bit more compressed than the DRD (some like that, some hate it), and its slightly grainier. Although the DRD can get fuzzy when the distortion is above 1 o'clock...

Will check in on that vid after work :)

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

dood, I have some constructive criticism for that guy... I think his picking technique would get a lot better if he sat with a metronome for another 20 years or so...

OH! Just kidding, that guys tech is great!!:dude

You know, I really think the MRD would get you in the ball park of that tone... although that sounds like a nice high gain amp cranked. The MRD has some of the same EQ qualities.

6. DamageInc.

DamageInc. Active Member

I have the Cornford Harlequin and it doesn't sound like that all. So I looked closely and it appears his jack is plugged into a Cornford Head. Honestly you will not find that tone in a pedal.

7. Fusionshred

I think you're right about that being a Cornford head. Although, on the Cornford site there are clips of him playing through a Harlequin, it's close but different. I really like the MK50 tone and I'm hoping that there is a pedal out there that will get me close.