Mad Professor MP-101 @ NAMM?~Details!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by markom89, Jan 23, 2008.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Anyone see the new MP amp at NAMM? I'm very curious about this one... Is it a CS-40 w/ more horsepower (wattage) & two channels? Is it the MP amp that we all (atleast most of us) wish the CS-40 was/is? (with the whole channel thing...). I'm curious! details, please! Cheers.

M.

P.S. What does it sound like? :):rolleyes:

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I don't know, but you need one.:p

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I know I do, man... I know :(

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Best thing about the MP booth was the amazing Josh Smith and Dana O.

Those guys could make anything sound great and I mean no disrespect to Mad Professor. The MP was awesome but those guys playing were something else.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

6. scottl

scottl Member

Great booth!!! With you on that Steve. Josh gets AMAZING tone with those 13s. PHAT!!!!

I got to play the amp in question and indeed it did sound great!! The doctor was a frickin' hoot as well!!!

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Scott, did you get to compare it to the CS-40? How are the clean and overdriven tones on the amp?

8. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

That amp is awesome..Has way more headroom than the 50 watter and gets a great boost....I am in the works to get one because even at low volume it was raging and Josh said that through his 4-12 it was insane...Great amp and great people...Bjorn is the man and I made great new friends in Harri, Eero, and Juca....Check it out asap:AOK

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

any word on an actual release date? also, any mention of a price? If the CS-40 goes for $5500, I don't think I'd be too far off from assuming it's gonna' be around $6500 or something.

10. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

The new MP is supposed to be cheaper than the cs-40 as it is not hand built by the Professor. It will be a PCB amp from what I was told and more readily available to the masses.

11. scottl

scottl Member

I heard $4K I think.... PCB boards baby!!!

12. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I hung with Bjorn and the crew, played the new beast and new pedals too.
    Big fan of the gear and the peeps involved. josh and Dana made all the earcandy only sweeter!
    The new one is 101 watts, cause that's....one more!
    Dual channel, switches from a foot pedal. Mondo headroom, fab cleans BUT-
    the best part. Each channel has a different voicing- so there's really four different voicings sharing the tone stack. two clean, and two overdriven. Yowza!
    i am told that it is a pc board and it will be less expensive, and more readily available.
    i really dug the new MP pedals. immediately bought the little orange phaser, which is EVERYTHING all other phasers aren't. each of the new pedals is killin.
    The US sales rep is Eero Kilpe 914-316-2414 or P.M. to: Eero

13. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Barry -

Great to see you too, you say the sweetest things (GRIN).

The MP 101 is a 2 channel switcher, two gains, 2 master vols, shared EQ, and a whopping 101w RMS, and that's probably conservative. 1 input hole. Each channel is voiced a bit differently, and both sound great. Ch 1 can go clean to mean, so it can be dialed for crunch tones, roll back vol on guitar for cleans, and ch 2 for leads. (Attenuator on back like the original MP head.) Wrong - No Attenuator, only a Great Master Vol. The 101 does not have the 4 way EQ shift on the fromt panel.

The 40w head is remniscent of the original MP amp in both looks and function - not a ch switcher. It DOES have the 4 way eq/ mid shift knob (Focus) on the front, FET or Regular input, boost function, attenuator on back (IIRC - NAMM was so loud we never turned 'em up ...well, maybe a little).

It's extremely touch sensitive, and can be dialed a bunch of different ways. Seems to like all kinds of pickups and all kinds of guitars. Takes pedals, especially the great new MP pedals well.

Both are great amps. I'm partial to the 101w, but the 40w is wonderful too. The 101 is a great grind machine, overbuilt like all MP amps, and it's really strong. Get the master, either one, up to 3 and it has amazing dynamics. I could play cowboy clean to medium gain just by adjusting my attack on the clean channel, and med gain to scream on ch 2 with my fingers alone.

Dana O.

14. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Dana-
    I asked Bjorn if the 101 had the attenuator in back, and he told me that the new Master Volume was so good that it didn't need it. I never looked back there.
    Are you sure its there on the 101?
    I had meant to mention that the Master worked really really well and you could take the amp down to NAMM floor conversation levels (CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW??!!!) and it was still toneful, but of course, as with any 100+ watt amp, it needs to 'breathe' to really get exciting.
    Bjorn likes to tell the story about how his builder tests each MP amps by cranking them when they are finished, and there is a sign tacked outside the workroom door that MUST fall off the nail for the amp to be considered finished.
    I have no doubt that the 101 would be formidable through a good closed back 4x12. We were invited to bring it down to the 65amps sound room and blast it, but I think they were afraid that it would knock sevferal of the Trussart guitars off their holders, so it never happened. :eek:

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Barry -

You're right, no attenuator on the 101 - the master DOES work so well, it's not needed.

There is an attenuator on the 40w, but not on the 101. Very different confugurations, but w/ similar great sound.

Thanks Barry, Dana O.

16. Tomo

Tomo Member

Barry,

Thanks for writing the details... about the MP amp and the MP pedal. I had a great time talking with Bjorn... I really loveed that phaser/Vibe pedal. Very unique! I didn't have a chance to try MP od pedals. Did you? Great to see you!

Josh's Tele was something! Great feel .. even though 13s. Chapin!

Tomo

17. Eero

Eero Member

Gentlemen,

You are right;

The 101 is based on a PCB and is in every respect an "arena amp". Because of the building technology, we can sell it around 4k. Further, with the masters, we didn't consider a need for attenuation. The CS-40 on the other hand has its endless possibilities for sound and sound level adjusting with the one channel and attenuation.

CS-40 are in extremely limited quantities readily available and the MP 101 deliveries start sometime in March.

I strongly agree, Josh Smith and Dana Olsen are not only great players, but I also very highly value their friendship. This is even with the imminent risk that people would say, "but these guys make everything sound good"... :AOK

As the Mad Professor would say; "At Your Service"

Eero Kilpi
    Mad Professor Amplification, USA

18. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

I hope everyone has seen these clips, even though they really don't do the amp justice. I was there and saw it live, and oh my god if that isn't just the best guitar sound I have ever heard! It's definitely among the best!
    Also, Sebastian Nylund is one hell of a guitar player, no doubt about it - I think he's great!

Check them out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bWZ2g-BtR2U
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=H8BmbfRIdDU
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQdX05CtONA
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dCBjSGBvAuI

Not only does it sound good, it's good looking too, especially with that Tubewonder cabinet that just happend to be the perfect size!

19. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

I had the MP101 prototype for four days with me earlier this year and it was a VERY GOOD amp, propably as goog as my CS-40, but in a different way. With CS-40 you can tailor your sound very precisely for what you want and it's very flexible, MP101 has "just" what you want sound right away, besides of CS-40's of course...Badass power house 101 definetly is...

20. wonderboy

wonderboy Member

Any news on the expected price? Has anybody heard anything, or maybe talked to Björn or Custom Sounds?