• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Mad Professor RRB Question (Possible Issue)

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
OK for those of you who have one already, the RRB is supposed to be the 2 pedals in 1 with a Master volume. According to the manual, to get a clean boost just turn the Master to Max and the Treble and Boost to minimum. Easy enough...

However, mine set like recommended (Master at Max, everything else Min) the volume is below unity and there is still some grit, not much, but definitely not below unity and definitely a little grit to it. There is no clean boost to it at all. Its fine, I didn't get it for a clean boost per se, but I just want to make sure something isn't going south on it (bad transistor, for example).

So for those of you who have one, are you getting the same thing?

jimtaka

You shouldn't have the Boost set to minimum if you are using it as a cleanish boost. You set the treble to minimum, master to maximum, then adjust the boost to desired output. As far as how clean it should be, I'm not sure. I don't have one... yet. I just read this information on the MP site.

http://mpamp.com/pedal/pedals-rrb.htm

So how are you liking this pedal? I've been contemplating picking one up, but haven't been able to even find a demo yet.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
No understand that. Let me try to explain it differently:

In short the problem is that I get grit at any setting. I am completely unable to get any kind of even slight clean boost. For example, with the setting of Master on full and the Boost and Treble settings at minimum, the signal is not only well below unity volume but sounds like there is a treble booster type grit being added to it. Almost like an OD pedal set with the volume low. If I add even the slightest amount of boost or treble to it it breaks-up even more (obviously). But any kind of clean boost is impossible. I have even tried the Master at like 11:00 and the Boost at like 9:00-12:00 and it is just really gainy. In short it behaves almost like an OD pedal. But even an OD pedal can usually be set to get a fairly clean signal...

So again, so with the pedals Master set to full and everything else at zero, I'm below unity volume and there is very noticeable break-up and grit.

Again any feedback from other owners would be great.

TheAmpFactory

Run it at 18v, will offer you that extra headroom. and the grit you are talking about will fade away completely. (perhaps) - I don't own one. but I know MP likes 18V in some of them. and also have had this experience with a few other pedals that are in a similar series to this.. so I ran at 18v and everything was normal.

Boytbpc

Still sounds like a Pebkac error. Try master at full and Boost at 50% and Treble at 0%, do you have a clean boost?

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Yeam um, not Pebkac. Been playing for 23 years (since I was 12), I understand how a simple boost works. Um, but thanks...

But to answer your question: If the Master set at full is way below unity and has noticeable grit, then how would it being set at 50% give me a clean BOOST? Its already well below unity at full gain. And for example, if I set the master to 12:00 (50%) and then turn the Boost to even 9:00, I still get substantial grit. The same thing with the Treble knob.

The same issue is at 18v, just louder. There is still no ability for a clean boost and the grit only becomes more noticeable. And its not a battery as its been powered by 2 separate PP2+ devices.

I'm just hoping another owner to chime in with a definite "Yeah, mines like that to." or a "Nope, it's fracked. return it.". The insinuations that somehow I don't know how to work a Boost pedal are.. well annoying.

I've sent an email to MP as well and am awaiting their reply.

TheAmpFactory

The same issue is at 18v, just louder. There is still no ability for a clean boost and the grit only becomes more noticeable. And its not a battery as its been powered by 2 separate PP2+ devices.
if im not mistaken, I thought the PP2 with duel connections is not a true 18v but more like 12.5 with the dip switches set? (I might be way off here, so apologies if wrong) but i remember reading another thread a while ago about someone trying to get 18v from one.. but it was not actually a true 18v.?

openG

slidealicious
Gold Supporting Member
did you try adding some treble to take the grit out, at least smooth it out some?

Boytbpc

Yeam um, not Pebkac. Been playing for 23 years (since I was 12), I understand how a simple boost works. Um, but thanks...

But to answer your question: If the Master set at full is way below unity and has noticeable grit, then how would it being set at 50% give me a clean BOOST? Its already well below unity at full gain. And for example, if I set the master to 12:00 (50%) and then turn the Boost to even 9:00, I still get substantial grit. The same thing with the Treble knob.

I'm just hoping another owner to chime in with a definite "Yeah, mines like that to." or a "Nope, it's fracked. return it.". The insinuations that somehow I don't know how to work a Boost pedal are.. well annoying.

I've sent an email to MP as well and am awaiting their reply.

I have a question, Do you know how a boost works?
:crazyguy

Godspeed64

Well the grit might be just more output to the tubes that cause it to distort more.

And also, it is a treble boost right? It's meant to get dirty. Clean boost? Look at other pedals, like the Flying Dragon.

bsic

Silver Supporting Member
it should boost relatively cleanly, unless your preamp doesnt have enough headroom. exactly how clean, i dont know, i never play clean :) but i can check this out on mine later

jimtaka

There are two demo videos of the RRB from Bobby D on youtube now. I watched them yesterday and don't remember hearing a pure clean boost come out of the pedal.

rossta1

Yo Critter74 - I'm experiencing the same issue w/ mine. Did exactly as the manual instructed for Treble Boost setting and my volume drops. Have to add in boost to get it back up and that just adds grit. Not inexperienced w/ treble boosters. I've had the Beano, a D*A*M Rooster, etc. and I currently use a few BSMs and a Squawk!. Wanted this to replace a few (the buffer was a nice addition to the chain!) but it looks like this one will soon be going back to Mad Ape :(
PS. I will try the 18v option w/ my PP2+ (never heard any doubts about true 18v there btw! mine works like a charm)

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
Long, long story short I contacted MP directly. Jukka said that the behavior of the pedal did not seem normal. He said I should have been able to get a clean boost, free of any grit with the stated settings in the manual (Master on full, Boost and Treble on minimum). He said to return it if I could to the shop I bought it from. If I couldn't, they would fix or replace it for me.

But since I had bought it from PGS, they allowed me to return it no problem. My new one should arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let you know how this one turns out....

jimtaka

Will be interested to see how this turns out. I picked up a RRB, but haven't set it to try to be a completely clean boost. I've been stacking mine in front of my other drive pedals with the master all the way up and the treble and boost roughly just over halfway. I do plan to try it as a clean boost placed after dirt pedals.

rossta1

Thanks SO much for that. Think I need to call mad ape and see about an exchange/return/etc.

Top Bottom