Mad Professor Simble on the way! Have y'all been digging yours?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by magilla, Feb 2, 2015.

1. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

Hey all! Just snagged a Mad Professor Simble overdrive after lusting after one for a while. Looking for a smooth drive for lead tones to compliment my existing tones. Style is jazz-funk, soul, blues, R&B. I traditionally play humbucking guitars (LP, 335, PRS). Amp is an early tweed Fender Bassman RI with 2 x Alnico Golds, 1 Jensen Neo 10 and one Greenback.

I have an RC Booster on my board I'm using as an (almost) always-on tonal enhancer (a little fatness, a little more clarity in the highs, the ability to get a bit of dirt when I dig in with the pick). I also have an OCD-inspired unit for most of my lead work, and it's great, but not the "smooth, transparent, d-style" drive.

So ... are y'all digging yours? What are your thoughts? I'll be sure to report back once I receive mine later this week.

2. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Mines not going anywhere. It sounds good with a strat's neck pickup, while the Zendrive I own doesn't. It also cleans up better than the zendrive. (rolling down guitar volume knob).

3. magilla

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have a Simble on my board. The first night I had it, the band, and some audience told me it sounded amazing!

You should really enjoy it.
    I have a front-end only p-board with a vol pedal, wah, empress comp, Tim, Simble, Palmetto boost and buffer out to the amp. The Simble works well in any combination.

Depending on your amp and settings, it should be the most tranparent and low gain overdrive you have. But, it will do more. Start with all dials at 12 noon and tweak from there.

Enjoy! :)

5. alguit

alguit Member

I've owned over half a dozen of the D-style pedals, and this is my favorite by far.

6. magilla

Thanks for weighing in, everyone. What kind of tones are you coaxing out of the box?

Out of curiosity ... What tones (specifically ... which artist? record / period?) are you chasing in the first place?

7. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Mad Professor hadn't made any videos when I bought mine. They were just releasing the pedals. I had to wait a month for them to ship to the U.S.
    I ordered mine because of this video. The guitarist in the video owns a Dumble by the way. But I think he's playing through a Carr in this video.

8. magilla

Yeah, there's some great playing in that video. I remember seeing that wayyyy back. And, yeah, he's sporting a Rambler. Really enjoy his tones and playing.

9. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

The MP Simble is, IMHO, the overdrive that comes closest to sounding like a "D-amp"

Although low to moderate gain, the Simble just sings, and oozes smooth, creamy violin-like tones.

The Simble is not your average overdrive, there's nary an unusable sound from the pedal.

Here's 2 vids of what the Simble can do...sure beats spending upwards of $30K on a "D-amp"...for less than two Ben Franklins you can do "D-amp" with the Simble...

I love mine, wouldn't sell it, or if it were stolen, would replace the Simble with the same immediately...

10. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

It's great, hasn't left my board since I got it. Everyone that I've played for or has played through it while over at my place raves about it. I use turned down fuzz for most of my OD tones, but the Simble is what I use when I want something more refined. It's got a beautiful voice to it. You'll be very happy, good purchase.

11. magilla

Awesome. I love all the great things I'm hearing about this! Just making me that much more excited.

12. magilla

Pedal will be here tomorrow! I'll have to post a full report!

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Another happy owner here.

14. srf11

srf11 Member

Count me in as a big fan as well!!

15. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Found one over here, got so much going on thou. The Store took it off the shelf and I can pick it up next month.

Very much looking forward to it.

Do we know how many of the Hand Made ones made prior ? Was there a serial number turning point? I wonder how many are out there at the moment?

Loving the clips, so I'll just go off those as my store is interstate. That's just an amazing creamy breakup with really sweet pick dynamics.

Really looking forward to this.

16. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I recently got one of those...sounds pretty great when it is turned UP ! Controls are extremely interactive. The only small downside is that I was expecting it to clean up a bit better...there's also a hint of fuzz behind the notes are higher gain settings.

Anyone compare the Jetter GS124 to the simble by any chance?

17. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I love it. It is smooth as butter at low,...uh whatever that knob is called, sensitivity?

Had one since right after that video came out.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Asked about the tones I'm getting from my Simble. I run it in front of a Marshall JMD-1 50H through a Marshall 1912 cab right now. I have the amp set for just a touch o' hair.
    The Simble gets the amp soundling like the Jackson Browne songs like The Loadout/Stay, and with a touch more boost from either the Tim, or the Plametto Boost, it sounds like Redneck Friend, or Doctor, My Eyes.
    I am using a signature model XOX Handle guitar.

I hope that helps.