Mad Professor Simble Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NielsM, Mar 21, 2015.

1. NielsM

NielsM Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you want a great low to mid gain pedal it's fantastic. I bought one immediately when it came out and loved it. It has a completely clean boost setting, no coloration. An incredible "Jazz" setting for songs like Lenny, and does great bluesy breakup too. The accent knob brings our or reduces pick attack and is really useful.

I always recommend it for that kind of stuff. You won't be disappointed at all of those tones in the videos are what you're after. I bought it and a GS124 at the same time and kept the Simble. Hope this helps.

3. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Pretty impressive sounding to me.
    Nice to see to new approaches too in this concept.

4. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

5. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

To my ears, the Simble and the Royal Blue OD come from the same family tree and since I hate the way the Simble looks(like a turd).......I went with the RBOD.

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I had the Simble and Royal Blue side by side on my board and found them to be quite different. The simble had more mids, chirp, and phaseyness in the sustain. In other words it's more like a Dumble.

7. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Interested in more from you on this. I have a Simble, and yes, I like it a lot. But also have interest in the Royal Blue. If you will, give more description of the RB and particularly how it differs from the Simble.

8. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Just got one. I love it so far. Very transparent, very smooth, very versatile. Get one.

9. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Lol, I showed it to my wife and explained that it sounds great despite having a paint job that looks like some sort of cheap veneer...aha, it is turd veneer!

10. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Ha...it might be one of the ugliest pedals.

11. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Thought about getting one and taking the guts out and putting it in another MP four hole enclosure of my liking.......still might do it.

12. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

My Simble is out for delivery today, so I'll be sure to report back this evening with my initial thoughts!

I also have a Jetter GS-124, Red Shift, and Zen Drive clone to compare it to.

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

For those of you who don't understand the choice of finish on the outside of the Simble pedal. I think it is a nod to Dumble, who it was reported used wood grain formica to make his own circuit board material. There are actual images of this on the internet.

14. NielsM

NielsM Member

Thanks for the input guys! Well I intend to use it for low to mid gain, so it looks like this pedal is a good choice for me. I don't really care how it looks, although it doens't look so bad to me, as long as I sounds great.
    I think I'm gonna order one.

15. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Ok, I received my new Simble yesterday... here's my initial thoughts on it:

I'll start by saying the Simble is a very nice D-style pedal! It has everything you'd expect and like others have said it has a lot of range on each knob.

When I put it up against my Jetter GS-124, there's quite a bit of overlap and I quickly came to the conclusion I'd only be keeping one of these pedals...

The Jetter excels at the higher gain stuff, while the Simble seems to do a little better at mid-gain tones. The Simble is definitely tighter sounding on the low stings and has a little better note definition there too. The Simble is also more transparent and doesn't seem to add much color. The Jetter is simply, "more juicy" and alive! For me, it's just more fun to play. I found myself getting a little bored with the Simble after a while... where with the Jetter I didn't want to turn it off.

I'm glad I got to try them both side-by-side, but I the Jetter GS-124 is the keeper for me... but the Simble is really good too!

(For testing I used: a Tele and SG into an Allen Brown Sugar, Germino Classic 45, and Budda 18).

16. NielsM

NielsM Member

Thanks for the update. I think I'm going to buy one as for me, a transparant overdrive is what I'm looking for with mid to low gain.
    I already have a OD808 which does colors the sound. So it might be a good combination. Maybe even boost the OD808 with the Simble.

17. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I have a GS124 and really love it! I have wanted to try the Simble for a while but haven't gotten around to ordering one. My only complaint with the GS124 is that I find the white noise to be a bit more than I would like. At 12 o'clock it's fairly noticeable and anything past that, the noise gets a little over powering. The thing is, I like the pedal at higher gain settings but I don't really love the hiss.

18. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

This was my experience. The Jetter is more in it's comfort zone at high-gain, but does have a little white noise. The Simble is better in low to mid-gain and after that loses some definition. I preferred the Simble, but wound up trading both.

19. NielsM

NielsM Member

The Simble arrived yesterday and I got the chance to put it to work with the band right away. With no tweaking the knobs, I instantly loved the sound. Then started tweaking and love the sound even more.
    But after much I tweaking it has some limitations.
    It does, as mentioned, low to mid gain really good. If you need more, this isn't the pedal for you.
    It's so transparant and has a really amp like overdrive. I did some A/B with both of my Maxon's (OD808 and OD820, which are totally different pedals BTW), but I liked the tone of this much more. It doesn't have that mid-range bump which especially the OD820 has. It's much more clearer without getting really trebly.
    Maybe the best to use it, is to boost a TS with the Simble. Really a lot of possibilities.

Don't get me wrong, the OD 808 and 820 are both phenomenal, but just really different kind of OD pedals. Mainly because they're TS ofcourse.

This pedal has widen my palet of OD's and at the moment couldn't be more happy with the pedal. But let's wait a couple of months....:bonk

20. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I read this forum whenever I am about to look into a new pedal. The Simble was the pedal I had wished was built back in the early 1970's.

I had a Tim from reading this forum, and got a Simble about 6 months ago to go after the Tim.

By itself, and stacked with the Tim, the Simble is incredible. I have had audience members come up to me to ask what I had done with my sound. They said it just sounded different and better then ever. It was the addition of the Simble.