Mad Professor Sky Blue Overdrive (SBod) demo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatback, Jan 25, 2008.

1. fatback

fatback Member

Some folks have been asking about the SBod. I was fortunate to pick one up while visiting with Bjorn, Jukka, and Harri at NAMM and have been really digging it. I just threw together a quick vid to share some of the tones I've been getting with it with my tele and home home rig.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1521714900602509215&hl=en

The Sky Blue OD feels very responsive to your attack and gets a cool "bloom" when digging in on the higher strings. It seems pretty different in feel and character from the Honey Bee and the old Baby Blue ods. I'm liking the Sky Blue both as a low gain boost and dialed in as a medium drive. The range of gain and volume on tap in this little guy makes it quite vesatile. Well done guys.

[​IMG]

:BEER

:YinYang

2. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Wow, what a great sound! What do use the valveboy for, being that it's set clean? Your tone always has a kind of urgency to it that I just love. Fat, tumescent, and just plain BIG. I also play mostly single coils, and often through a Princeton Reverb, but my tone doesn't sound like that. Is that biggness coming partially from the delay. Very cool, and as always thanks for contributing so much around here.

James

3. fatback

fatback Member

Thanks, I'm glaad you dug it. :)

I play and record at pretty low volumes, so the Valveboy helps me to impersonate my Princeton's feel and response at much louder volumes. An analog delay mixed a bit back can also add a slight thickening effect. It just feels comfortable to me to hear those echoes in the backround. A little added tubey presence and ambience is never a bad thing in my book. ;)

In any case I try to clearly show the base tone in my vids before I stomp on the featured pedals.

:YinYang

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

A little too much compression for my taste.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Josh, it isn't nearly as compressed in "real life", IMO. Mind you, I've got teh BJF version, although there shouldn't be much (if any) difference.

Personally, I really dig Fatback's sound in all his clips, and this one's great, too. Good job once again, mr.back.

6. fatback

fatback Member

Here's a bit of the SBod direct into a D-Lab Amps 2 watt Minuteman III head.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3271113746651976156

I'm afraid there' still some camera mic and formatting compression, but between the two clips you can get a rough idea of what the SBod is capable of.

:)

7. duende

duende Member

When did you get that tele!!! I never saw that one. Nice playing as always.

Call me when you want some indian mechanical toy drum tracks to back you up.

8. fatback

fatback Member

That GVCG tele has been around for a few years. It's my main ride. :D

I almost forgot about the Riyaz. I'll have to give you a shout. :AOK

9. Tomo

Tomo Member

It was great to meet you in person at NAMM. Thanks for stopping by at Eminence. And thanks for letting me borrow the pedal. That was fun. One Vol!

Thanks for making this demo video. You sounded great and pedal is awesome! Nice tone. I really enjoyed it. I played MP's Orange Phaser. What a great versatile pedal! Then my time run out.. so I couldn't try his ods...

Thanks again. hope to see you soon! Great video (back drop and effect!)

This one... how do you switch your guitars that fast!
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=883698507218114984
    What loop do you use?

Tomo

10. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

When will these be available to purchase?

11. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

That's a fine sounding OD. It reminds just a little of the tone I'm getting from my AC booster. But better ...

dammit.

12. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member

Very, very nice, as usual, Mr.Fatback....
    How would you compare the SBOD to the Keeler Push and Pull? Thanks!

13. Jack

Jack Member

Can you say a little about how it differs from the honey bee?

Also, my whole family enjoys your videos!

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

15. zerorez

zerorez Member

Great Video, very Gilmour like tones!

16. wreckfan

wreckfan Member

Very nice clip. Like one of the previous posts I also would loke to know that the difference is between this and the Honey Bee.

Looking at the following as a new setup to replace my ancient setup (which I like and will keep)

Overdrive/mild

Honey Bee / Blue sky or Baby Blue - plus a barber smally-fry (just like em)

Played into

Little Green Wonder or KOT ?

Delay

T-Rex Replica

Opinions - suggestions ?

17. fatback

fatback Member

They all seem pretty different to me. The PUSH has a bit harder feel and moves from a gritty boost to Marshall like distortion textures. The PULL is more about soft clipping and adding some light grind while tightening up the low end. It's almost like a power amp section when put behind other pedals. I really dig both of them

The SBod feels and sounds very different from the Honey Bee. The Honey Bee has a soft attack with a bit of sag that seem to wrap itself around a note. The SBod is much more immediate, but still very dynamic. The SBod also seems to be voiced differently in the mids than the mellow syrupiness of the Honey Bee.

The SBod is more of a straight OD, although it does have a ton of gain on tap. The bounce and bloom I'm feeling off of single notes with the SBod is what really sets it apart from the other OD pedals I've been through.

:AOK

18. fatback

fatback Member

Sounds like a cool rig. I haven't done a lot of stacking with the SBod yet, but the HoneyBee stacks really well with a brighter and harder feeling pedal in front of it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

:)

19. fatback

fatback Member

Sorry I missed your question the first time around Tomo. The power of editing is a beautiful thing. :) I'm using an Akai Headrush2 for the looping in my vids.

You were sounding killer at the Eminence booth and I was really stoked to meet you and check out your board at NAMM.

:BEER

20. Jagsound

Jagsound Member