Mad Professor Sweet Honey - What DON'T you like about it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Mar 8, 2012.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Thinking of getting the MP SHOD.

There was this one thread where people were sharing some common complaints about it, but I can't find it now...

So tell me,
    I know this is a great pedal and how it's dynamic and amp like,
    but, if you were to list some complaints about it, what would it be?

Any negative experience / mismatch with your gear?

Not trying to degrade the pedal or anything, just wanna get my PROS/CONS on the table before I make my move.

2. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I thought the handwired didnt have enough high end bite or perhaps I thought it didnt cut in the mix well enough.

Regardless.. the CB version is everything I wanted from the 1st 2 I tried ( handwired shod and hbod pedals ).

Very good pedal.. stacks very well too.

3. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I had a mismatch on my Ampeg Gemini. The Gemini is very mid range heavy and the bump in the SHOD can get a little honky sounding (yo word up with that? ;-).

I was able to work around it by turning the treble and bass way way up effectively making the mids more like a Blackface. I found the Timmy EQ profile to match that amp better. I love my SHOD though. It does Rolling Stones break up very well and it's a very amp-like pedal.

Addendum: I've found that the Timmy circuit matches the Gemini exceptionally well. Current rig is CS Tele > Timmy > Quicksilver Delay > Gemini II

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. timme_v

timme_v Member

Gets lost in a mix.

Love it when playing on my own, however in my band it doesn't punch through enough.

5. HBob

HBob Member

Good to know. I really like my CB SHOD and was curious about the handwired. I wouldn't want to lose that bite.

6. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

A little too modern sounding to my ear. Cool pedal though.

The Honeybee is a better fit for me.

7. bseamus

bseamus Member

Not gritty enough for me and not alot gain.

8. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

Meh, sounded like many other ODs to my ears, so I sold it.

9. cookedbutok

cookedbutok Member

Low end was a little flubby to me. Gain was a little fizzy.

Kinda wish I had kept it til I could try the new Tele out on it though, my current setup is a little bright now.

10. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Member

What a bizarre range of answers.

I used one for about 6 months. Was a good pedal... stacked particularly well with my other drives, but ultimately decided that it didn't have enough gain (I always wanted just a little more out of it) and in retrospect, think that it just wasn't that interesting/unique of a sound.

Now, that's not to say that it didn't sound good. More of an estimate of what it does in comparison to other drives I've used since (Bearfoot Honey Bee, MP LGW).

I really did like the Range control on that though. Probably one of the most interesting tone/texture controls I've found yet.

11. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I love mine Hand wired version! Stacks great w/a Timmy and Xotic RC boost as well!

12. forgivenman

forgivenman Member

This

13. jroot

jroot Member

I thought for my board I had the middle and higher gain tones taken care of. I found that although a good pedal, I actually preferred my bean boost for most applications I would have used this for aka lower gain type stuff. Also, I know MP is all the rage but I really didn't bond with it. It didn't have that syrup stick to the strings under your bends on leads. I think I have the same feeling about full tone stuff. Just not for me I guess. peace

14. tomuchroc41gtr

tomuchroc41gtr Supporting Member

The dealbreaker for me was that it cut bass. Now, in fairness to the pedal, it's designed to push an already breaking up amp and I was using it as a stand-alone OD into a clean channel vs as a lead boost on a dirty channel. Part of that is on me for not using it the way it was intended. Just an FYI depending on how you intend to use it. I will say the dynamic range you get and how it reacts to your guitars volume knob was phenominal! Second to none.

15. lakesider

lakesider Silver Supporting Member

My new favorite with humbuckers.

16. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

This was my thought going through these responses as well. For me, the SHOD is tremendous at driving other pedals for runs and leads. It just makes things sing unlike no other pedal I've tried, and for that purpose, it holds a space. However, by itself, I find that there's just not enough there, so I never use it as a standalone.

17. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Bingo.

I A/B'd it with a Bearfoot HBOD, and the SHOD had a lot more headroom (both 9v via PP2+, using Les Paul and Tele through Super Reverb/AC 30 in stereo rig), but it cut my low end, and upper ends of the gain spectrum got pretty harsh-sounding to me. I liked the vintage feel of the HBOD better, found its Nature knob to be a whole lot more useful, and the gain was sweet no matter where I set it. I also found the HBOD to be more sensitive to pick attack. Strictly my opinion - YMMV.

Just wasn't for me. Some swear by it, too. Ultimately, you've gotta use your ears and let them make the decision. Try to find a way to record both of them in similar rifs and play them back as well. I had a chance to do this to help me with my decision...

18. Seafoam Green

Seafoam Green Member

I thought it was fantastic with my 335, and too bright and harsh with everything else. Not quite enough gain for me either, but in fairness I was running it into a clean amp. I had the handwired version.

19. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

I found mine sounded sterile. Almost but not quite. I sold it & kept the Bearfoot HBOD! I know they are different but some settings yield similar tones.:bong

20. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

This was my conclusion as well. The HBOD sounded much better to me in a side-by-side comparison. The Nature knob on the HBOD had much more range.