Mad Professor Turnaround....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tradarama, May 19, 2006.

1. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

I sent my check and it was received 1/31/06. I was told "end of April maybe early May". Now I am getting the "we just realized that we are running behind on your amp".

I think they are slipping guys in front of me. Anyone order one after who is getting one before me?

I'm thinking of pulling my order and demanding a refund. I HATE when this crap happens...

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Jim,

If they are pulling that crap, you are fully justified in pulling your order. I would give them the benefit of the doubt, because it is an amp that has recently caught fire, and with the attention to detail on these amps, they are probably in over their head trying to fill orders.

I would let them know, that you are frustrated, so that if they are putting others in front of you, they are aware that they could lose a sale. On the other hand, they are the only game in town for an amp of that type, so its not like you can go up the block and get another one from another builder.

I feel your pain! LOL!!

B

3. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I know these guys and they're cool. These things are in high demand, you're going to have to cool it. Once you get it, you'll realize how could it really is and it was well worth the wait. Look at the Guitar Player review, there's tons of hand labor in there.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I thought he already had one and sold it????

Eric

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have a local player coming over to try one out with my speakers tomorrow, and he's done nothing but rave about it, so if that's what you're looking for, then sometimes you have to be more understanding than you'd like to. Try to hang in there, if you can.

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

jim, hang in there. You'll be amazed at that amp.

7. scottl

scottl Member

Tell Josh I said hi!!!! LOL

8. Shane S

Shane S Member

Jim,

When it comes to custom made amps and guitars you just half to have patience. I had to wait 16 months for 65 amps to get me a Marquee head. I currently have two guitars from Nik Huber that are serveral months over do from what he originally told me it would take. The same goes for Johan Gustavsson. Hang in there, it will be worth the wait:BEER

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Will do, Scott! Guess there's not that many Mad Professors out here, eh? LOL :D

10. OOG

OOG Member

maybe you should checkout Mr Blankenship
    he seems to have gotten a certain Mad Professor owner's attention;)
    he sure got mine

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Bjorn is a standup guy for sure. Be patient. It will be worth it.

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

Check out his Chapin too............

Best, Pete.

13. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

If you ordered through Harri, he wouldn't do that. Neither would Bjorn. You gotta understand there is no 'they' -its just Bjorn building them, one at a time- no compromise. I'm thrilled for his success and the good press and great reaction they got at NAMM, but I doubt that Bjorn was prepared for the volume of orders, plus the demand for his pedals, which has exploded.
    I've played the amp several times and its worth the wait. Unique.
    Hang in there.

14. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I was told 9 months for my PRS Private stock....it has now been 12, and no word in the last 2 months....tick....tock......:(

15. LaXu

LaXu Member

Seems like that kind of thing is becoming more and more common with small brands that are getting recognition. I've been waiting for an amp for 11 weeks now. Originally the dealer told me I should get it in 4 weeks. I don't really mind waiting because I'm not in a big hurry or anything and am getting a good price, but I just wish that if manufacturers are slipping in delivery times they'd keep the customers (dealers or individuals) informed so that at least they'd know they haven't been forgotten or anything like that.

Anyway, one thing that might've delayed the Mad Professors a bit was the Helsinki Guitar Show held on 20-22th last month.Björn was there demoing the amp.

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

Are you sure it's just Bjorn building them one at a time??

check the link out...I don't think he could keep up with the pedal and amp demand by himself...
    http://www.mpamp.com/madeby.htm

at any rate I got to play through one at the Eminence booth in Frankfurt and its nice to see that Bjorn is finally getting some well deserved recognition...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

He builds the pedals himself, one by one.

18. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

You guys are confusing 'manufacturers' with 'boutique amp builders'. The small guys like Bjorn, Andy Fuchs. probably Ben Fargen, Doug Roccaforte,Fred Taccone( /13), Alf Hermida, - certainly Paul Cochrane (TIM) and luthiers like Ron Thorn etc etc are small operations, usually family owned and operated. One boss and at best a few helpers doing menial easy stuff. I think Bjorns wife helps paint the stomp boxes, IIRC.
    Every piece is hand assembled, checked, double-checked, burned in. This aint the PRS factory. These builders (most of them) graduated from basements and garages to small factory spaces. Its real hands-on, ciustomer service, mom and pop, or workmaster/apprentice style craftsmanship.
    None of these operations are geared for real success or large volume. One good article in a major magazine, or a big buzz at NAMM or a bunch of hype on TGP (Clay Jones) is enough to put these builders a year behind.

19. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Yup. Patience is a must with these guys but it is so worth it in the end. Bjorn and Dean Farley (Snake Oil Strings) have been very kind to me. Bjorn is very busy at the moment but he always has the customer in mind. He will respond to questions directly. He is at the top of his craft.

20. BJF

BJF Member

Hi

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words.

Tradarama, firstly I am happy that you have choosen the MP and hope that you will enjoy this amp.
    Right I wish I could help you or tell you more about the status of your order, but as is I have designed this amp and it is built in Finland by Jukka T. Mönkkenen aka known as Bukka www.wahvarikellari.fi
    ( this is a one man operation)and in fact almost the whole production is made in Finland and so I know only little of orders and timetables but shall be free with what I know.
    There are also a quite a few contractors that build the wooden chassis, take care of upholstery and the metal artist that makes the metal speedholes.......I talked with Jukka at the Helsinki Guitar show and there are very many orders also quite a few amps ready and just waiting for the wooden cabinetts, upholster.
    I know Jukka makes these amps in the most tedious way, following the complete construction folder I left and then some, taking ampbuilding to a level I may not have the patience for, though it is an amp fun to build, so making these amps takes abit of time. However, timetable for the amplifier chassis seems on time, while the wood worker and upholstery are not quite on time.
    Harri told me there are a quite a few amps shipping at the end of May possibly beginning of June, due to delay from some of the part suppliers. This is less good, though it is also so that unless you make very large volumes, which btw this amp never can be made in ( Bukka told me he'd build 999 amps before he retires and each one will blow down that postcard off the door post.....or it is not an MP ;) )
    I have very little to do with the MP CS-40 construction at the moment as there are no question marks left just hard tedious and meticoulous work and so I only make an occassional demo at shows and provide technical support if needed, while the amp is very straight forward and easy to get to know and does not require service other than setting up the tubes.

I would not think that you would be bypassed for any reason unless you have ordered a custom covering which may take longer time, but if so you would be aware of this and told when you placed your order.
    Please inquire with Harri at Mad Professor Amplification info@mpamp.com

That is so that I build all BJF pedals by hand and my wife helps with many things though mainly graphics. It is further so that I only agreed on designing this amp on that it should be built as I would request, but not by me as I have my hands full of pedals anyway, just in case there would be any confusion.
    It is certainly so that a little promotion may blow all timetables, when orders climb rapidly and parts may not be available swiftly in the requested quantaties, i.e. beyond the level of a few units, and yes I have noticed this in a severe way lately

Of the people involved, that I know, in this project all are sincere-they say about finnish people that they may be solemn and hard to convince and often seem sceptic, but once they get started would stop for nothing until goal is met. That is to say that while there may be an unfortunate delay, you can be sure that
    nobody rests on fire.

Thank you all and thanks for your patience and interest

At your service
    Bjorn Juhl
    BJF Electronics
    www.mpamp.com