Mad Professor Underdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Patient of Dr. Z, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

More precisely, the Evolution Orange Underdrive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xQpLBLS8M#t=90

Set your amp to crunch, turn on the pedal and it cleans up your sound without any loss of tone. A great idea, I think, since I'm never satisfied with just rolling off the guitar volume. Anybody know of any other pedal that does the same thing?

2. Pao

Pao Member

Didn't Paul Gilbert use a similar pedal?

3. Bigdrive501

Bigdrive501 Supporting Member

Yeah,he used an HBE Detox EQ pedal to achieve the same results.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

Pretty clever

5. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

there was just a thread like 2 weeks ago asking if this existed.. almost everyone said no but the HBE Detox was mentioned.

What would be the difference from rolling down the knob ? I Mean, does it just lower the signal level ?

6. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Now that you mention it, I've seen a demo of him using that pedal to the same effect. He's also used a compressor to clean up a dirty signal.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

I think it lowers the signal but also applies some eq to optimize your clean tones.

I assume bjorn designed this?

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I think it's brilliant.

However, I use 50's wiring in humbucker guitars and treble bleeds in single coils, so it's never muddy when I roll back the volume. But bass and bigness do get lost.
    That said, I like to move my volume pot, not from one place to another, but everything from 10 down to 3. I ride it constantly, kind of like Landau does.
    So not sure abut this one.
    But I might get it anyway. It could provide two ranges to move the volume pot in. Say 7 to 10 with the pedal on and off. There ya go. That's what I'll do.
    Want.