Made a Mistake Using CheapTickets.com

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bob Maximus, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

Opening myself up for flaming, but I want to give those thinking about using cheaptickets.com to book a flight; or purchasing insurance from Allianze Global (Richmond, VA). Just don't folks do it folks. Read consumer affairs reviews first.

I used them to book a flight returning from W. Palm Beach in February. I made sure (I thought) to buy refundable tickets in case something happened.

Of course the week I was to drive my parents to their place in FL turned out to be the worst ice-storm Nashville has had in decades. We couldn't leave. I had to cancel the return flight and did so, filing a claim. After no responses from either cheaptickets or Allianze Global, I got on the phone. Allianze Global found some loophole in their contract language and refused the claim. Cheaptickets said it in-fact was not a refundable ticket. Which I had paid an upcharge to make sure that didn't happen.

So, it would appear that I have no recourse other than to share with others my experience with dealing with a third party on something like this.

YMMV

2. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Looks like you have lots of company in your opinion of Cheaptickets.

3. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

Here I would say it's most likely your fault (sorry). There's really no such thing as "some loophole" in an insurance contract. There's either an exclusion or there's not.

If you assumed coverage existed without knowing for sure what was in the contract, that's not the fault of the insurer.

Allianze is a major global insurer subject to the laws of regulations of each state in which they operate. If they wrongly denied your claim, you need only contact the Department of Insurance in that state and register a complaint (costs you nothing but the time to send an email). However, in my 25 years in the insurance business, such complaints are almost always a case of the customer wishing there was coverage that did not exist in the contract...after which the DOI finds for the carrier.

If Allianze really did deny a claim that should have been covered, you get to sue their pants off. Allianze knows this, which is one reason why I highly doubt they did anything wrong...but it's possible.

Now that sounds fishy and here, you may have a case. If you specifically paid an upcharge for a refundable ticket, I could see them saying you didn't meet the terms that allow for that refund, but to say flat out it really wasn't a refundable ticket? That sounds like you have a case for a lawsuit, the threat of which just may get you another ticket!

Hard to know for sure without seeing the specific wording to which you agreed.

Either way, it sounds pretty crappy and I do wish you luck, if there is any recourse.

4. Bob Maximus

Bull ****. But thanks.

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Well then prove it. Post what the reason for the detail was and proof of a refundable ticket. Until then, I agree with the poster you were responding to.

6. Bob Maximus

No man. Not here to prove it to you.

7. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

That's what I figured your response would be. Again it is far more likely that you did something wrong than these people denied your claims without valid cause. Eflat makes an overwhelming case for that. What likely happened here is that you clicked the wrong button or failed to do whatever you needed to and are looking for a scapegoat instead. It's human nature.

Also, what you call a "loophole" is a contract term that YOU AGREED TO. So again, unless you have some proof to the contrary, this sounds like it's on you. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. We all do at some point. Good luck to you in the future.

8. Bob Maximus

Aint worth it bud. Maybe to you in your tan shorts sitting in your lonely world. Suffice it to say, trip cancellation is all over the policy.

9. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I have been reporting on the travel biz for years now, but do not sell it.

If you bought a refundable ticket - it is the responsibility of the airline - neither cheaptickets nor the insurance company have anything to do with it. And as far as "consumer reports" goes - ANY and every travel company is shat upon there.

But first - insurance. Acts of God (weather) are not covered unless the flight is cancelled by the airline. If you can't get to the airport it is not their fault. Travel insurance is a very tricky thing - but there is one variety called "cancel for any reason" - doesn't sound like you had that.

As for the airline - either you bought a refundable ticket or you didn't. You don't really say what clause "tripped you up," but in my experience they are quite clear in saying a ticket is not refundable. The cheaper tickets, or tickets bought through a third party, are most often NOT refundable. There is probably a good reason why the company is named "cheap tickets" - anytime a person wants a refundable ticket, I strongly suggest they call the airline to book it.

I am sorry you got tripped up and lost out, I hear and see complaints like this every day, and I will agree with you that travel providers are intentionally vague about what they are selling. I don't like it either.

But I am afraid there is little you can do, because in the end (I have seen it a million times) the travel companies prevail.

But I will tell you this - the best travel ombudsman I know is a writer named Christopher Elliott. If he thinks you were really, legally screwed, he is the one person who usually gets results. I suggest you google him and just read some of his articles first.

10. Bob Maximus

I appreciate your post. Basically, this is why I posted here in the first place. I made a mistake, and just wanted to share so that others might do research prior to buying from a third party in what looks like a great deal.

I'm curious if a company like Kayak would be similar to cheaptickets.com? Is there any third party that anyone uses that they trust?

11. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Skip these 'online travel agencies' unless you are 100% certain about your flight. I am occasionally expected to use these third party sites for work- that refer to yet a fourth party. They are usually not worth the cost savings. Airlines act like I used an agent. The booking site won't speak to me if I did not pay an upcharge, upfront. They are a racket.

12. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

I'll be moving on now.

Unsubscribed.