Made a vid last night...improv'ing out over an A7...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by gennation, Feb 15, 2009.

1. gennation

gennation Member

I'm always crafting different ways to view the "every note can work over a dom7 chord" idea. I have quite a few of them at this point.

But, for a few months I've been tying things together, from a theory aspect, with a number scales that flow from one to the other or are just a vehicle to open up the entire fretboard, but each still having their own drive behind the improv.

The main idea is (in the case of A7) creating lines that flow from mixing A Mixo to A Lyd Dom to A H-W and back to A Mixo, or maybe walking backwards through the sequence, or maybe never reaching back to A Mixo again but also hearing how to exploit each one individually. Here's the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1utjgFScgBE

Now beyond this, I also view this from each the A7, C7, Eb7, and F#7. So, if we wanted to twist our thoughts around the theory aspect this clip is using:

A Mixo, C Mixo, Eb Mixo, F# Mixo
    A, Lyd Dom, C Lyd, Dom, Eb Lyd Dom, F# Lyd Dom
    A H-W, C H-W, Eb H-W, F# H-W
    As well as some A Whole Tone (and derivatives)
    A little A Phrygian Dom too...

all over a straight A7 chord.

I guess you can think of it as looking INSIDE the (A7) chord, but the playing sounds OUTSIDE. I've always thought about this stuff as playing OVER the chord.

Beyond that I'm just trying to play through this stuff freely.

Not that this is a huge revelation, or it's that great of playing, or anything else as I'm sure a lot of people here have special ways of chopping things up for themselves and I know there are people here who can play rings around this type of stuff, I just thought I'd share.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Well done Mike ... totally dug it .. great playing my friend

My only complaint would be that your lead tone blends in way too much with the comping tone
    (are they the same axes by chance..)
    Need to crank up the lead guitar volume quite a bit me thinks ...

All in all thought ... thumbs way up!!

3. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Nice job, but as Lucidology noted, the mix could be better.

You covered about everything you could except pentatonics. Thanks for posting this, and all your contributions.

After watching this video, I checked out some of your 1989 live covers.

4. gennation

gennation Member

Yes, you are correct. I didn't put a lot of thought into this, it's usually a hassle for me to even get the camera out and stuff. It is the same guitar. I need to get a mic setup to alleviate that cranking sound from the camrea mic. But yes a nice thought out backing would've been better. Thanks for checking it out Joe.

Gigbag, those other vids are definitely time pieces. I'm just glad general public video camera's had been created by then ;) There were some Pentatonics in there, mainly pieces of E Min Pent and E Blues over A7, but no not really the straight up Blues over A7 stuff. I have a comprehensive tutorial for that type of Mixolydian Blues mix stuff here: http://lessons.mikedodge.com/lessons/AdvPent/AvdPentTOC.htm if you're interested.

5. cram

cram Member

Wow.. This is pretty much what I've been devoting much of my playing time for. You've got a lot more elabroation than I've reached in the things you're experimenting with. Great playing.
    The reason I got on this type of one chord vamp was from an old back issue of GP (may 95) that had a dual John Schofield, Mike Stern article. Mike's peice of it focusses on this and he lays out a few licks that I've built upon and I've really been enjoying it all. Great playing there mike.

6. gennation

gennation Member

Thanks cram. Those cats can take it outside and to the stratosphere!

I'm still working on these ideas and am trying to start incoporating them into the band material, but at some point I'll break it down into smaller chunks and do some sort of tutorial on the idea. That vid is 6 minutes long! I think I could take the best of the best out of it and at least come up with something solid to teach off. Someday :)