Made An Appointment For a PLEK Job Today.....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Gmann1956, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I finally took the plunge, and made an appointment to have my '62 Fender AVRI Strat PLEKKED. It plays really well, but I always seem to get those dead spots (usually the upper registers) and buzzing. Hopefully the PLEK job will take care of this. I can hardly wait to give it a run. Anyone else have any good or bad comments on having a guitar PLEKKED???

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

A Plek job saved one of my guitars from a bad refret. Highly recommended.

--chiba

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

After you get it done would you let us know how you like it?

4. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I gotta say, based on what I've heard and read, it been way more positive vs. negative feedback. I will most certaintly post comments of how good or how bad for that matter as well. :AOK Seems to be the way to go. I'm getting it done a week from Tuesday 4/8. Stay tuned!

5. Bob V

Bob V Member

Where? And what kind of lead time are we talking about for an appointment?

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

I had a 2001 335 (non-CS) plek'ed by Phil Jacoby and it plays crazy good now. Made the difference between making it a flipper or a keeper. I get the feeling finding one that feels better won't be easy (or as inexpensive). Cool thing about taking my guitars to Phil for a Plek is that he doesn't sell the Plek and will tell you outright if he doesn't think the guitar needs the Plek.

7. JumpMarine

JumpMarine Supporting Member

What's the average cost of having a Plek job?

8. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

I made my appointment at Sam Ash, in Huntington, NY. They told me it was about two weeks lead time, but as it turned out for me, it was 10 days. The price is $229 total. It was that or take it into Manhattan and pay for gas and parking, or ship it out of state and pay the shipping charges there and back to me. Kinda six of one, half a dozen of the other. John at Sam Ash looked at the guitar and thought this was a guitar that would really benifit from it. I'll let you all know how it comes out.

9. rcl

rcl Member

I pick up my Slash LP from the plek-man this week. Can't wait to check it out.

10. fumbler

fumbler Member

The PLEK will totally cure the buzzing and any playability issues but I doubt it will have any effect on the dead spots.

Dead spots are usually due to cancelling resonance in the neck. Lighter or heavier tuners can cure them (or at least move them around!) believe it or not. They change the way the neck vibrates. Try adding mass to your headstock by putting on a c-clamp (use felt so it doesn't screw up the finish) to see if it's a resonance issue.

11. Gmann1956

Gmann1956 Member

Fumbler,
    Thanks for the update on the dead spots on my strat. I'm gonna see how she plays after the PLEK job, and if they still exist, I'll most definitely try your advice to cure them. Once again, thanks for filling me in on that bit of info about the dead spots. :BEER