Made in Holland Tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Ok this is my new amp project will probably make a 5D8 twin out of it or something simular. It is a AO15C amp out of a Hammond Tone cabinet and it has 4 6v6's though I will probably only use two sockets for 6l6's. What is cool there are plenty of sockets to go around will have to change three of the octals to novals but that is no big deal. And then strip out the cans and the guts and the chokes that are on the chassis. It has TWO Output trannies one for the bass channel and one for the treble channel. The treble channel was one speaker and the bass 4 12 inch speakers from what I have found out so far. I am hopeing and guessing the 4 bass speakers were 16 ohm which in parallel which they said it was would be 4 ohms. No idea what the treble speaker was I will have to do some more searching. I would have never found this but I put a wanted ad on craigs list to get it. The price was not bad so I grabbed it. Now 3 of the tubes 6v6's are marked Realistic Lifetime made in Holland any one familular with these? Are these Old Radio shack tubes or are they something different?
    [​IMG]

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Despite the Holland markings, those are likely the cheap Russian 6V6s.

During the cold war, Euro tube brokers would import Russian tubes and relabel the country of origin so US companies could by them.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Thanks for the Info. They are spares now anyway for my delux 5e3 and my Silvertone 1472, as this build will use a pair of 6l6's

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

I would think twice about putting them in anything you value. I've seen these tubes display fireworks many times. For most of the '90s they were the only current production 6V6, but NOS were < $10.

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

You absolutly sure about the russian conection? I did a quick search and found references to USA, Japan, England,and Holland all marked Realistic Life Time tubes I did not see any russia made comments anywhere?

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

No, I'm not absolutely sure because the photos aren't close enough to even read what's printed on the glass. I would need a close shot through the clear section on top to confirm.

I'm about 99% certain though. It's not like there's any incentive for someone to create a website with information like this;)

7. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK Blue Strat here are the pics I hope you can help me with this.
    Tope view
    [​IMG]

Double stamp side view both in white and yellow lettering.
    [​IMG]

8. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I can see the "flying saucer" getter disk in the last photo. That thars a Russian!

- T

9. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK so are they safe to use or are they junk and not safe to use?

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

They're junk. They may work ok but I wouldn't use them.

11. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK Damn I sure took a beating on this deal. Oh well it was an expensive learning process. You know the guy wanted 75 bucks for the amp and I offered 50. Since these amps were supposed to come with Sylvania tubes from what info I could gather on the net sofar I wonder if he changed them out with cheap tubes or what I guess I will never know but thanks to you guys I have learned something more about tubes. Thanks for the info even if is bad news. The problem is NOT all of these Realistic tubes were Russion so how do you really know? IS that U shaped thing on the top of the tube a way to tell? The last 6v6 tube that came with this is a RCA black plate (yes the plate is black) that does not have that U shaped thing on the top of the tube? How about on tubes that are like 12ax7s that have that tip on the end how do you tell if they are russian made?

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Post detailed pics. Bob

13. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I don't have any suspect 12ax7s on hand I was just wondering. The only tubes I have that were suspect I posted the 6v6's

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

The transformers alone are worth far more than $75.

15. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Yea I know that except for this project the OTs will not work or not match up well since I want to go with 6l6's. But as long as I can use the PT and the chassis and the tube sockets I still made out ok. I know that. It still would have been nice to have 4 good tubes though for spares and a workable OT.