Made my Amplifier Decision: Thanks for all of your advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by iim7v7im7, Mar 19, 2008.

1. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Member

Hi,

I wanted to thank all of the forum users who replied to my Mar 5th post. I made a decision to purchase an Allen Accomplice. What finally drove me to make this decision was a few factors that go beyond features, on paper or descriptions of tone. There were aspects about him that differientiated him to me from many other builders:
    • David is an experienced EE. Many builders are not. Not that they cannot be excellent amplifier designers and technicians without this background, but this type of experience and education I viewed as a plus.
    • David had been making the amplifier model since 1999 and has had the opportunity to robustly feild test his product and evolve it with upgrades. Not many other "boutique" amps that I was considering had this level of lifecycle evolvement.
    • He both had a stellar reputation (on forums like here) and a straight forward, personable demeanor on the phone. Many builders also had this, but I could not find ANY negative comments. Some folks preferred the tone of other amps, but it difficult to make these decisions sight and sound unheard.
    Those of you who suggested I consider and head cabinet combination instead of a combo due to my weight concerns and amplifier issolation, I listened. I ordered a blonde/wheat 6V6 based head and matching 1 x 12 cabinet (Eminence R,W&B). BTW, he told me that he as made some modifications to the 2008 model that he has not promoted yet (some pull pots with boost options, IEC power etc.) I'll let folks know what I think in about eight weeks when it arrives.

Thanks Again,

Bob

2. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

Good for you man! I have incorporated Mr. Allen's parts (TO-60 for Bassman; TO-30 for FDR) and mods (Bassman Allen mod) into my amps; talked with him several times and he is like you said, a pleasure to talk to.

My Amp tech (Ron Ott) find his amps straightforward to build with good parts. Look forward to hearing about your new amp! ~RR

3. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

I think Allen Amps are one of those hidden jewels in this boutique amplifier world. Classic designs with some modern tweaks and great products.

You did well.

-Rich

4. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Sweet, it will last you a lifetime!

5. pharmx

pharmx Member

Congrats! And, by the way, welcome to TGP!

6. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I had an AA for a year and loved it. Just the right mix of BFDR tones with the features I wanted. Very sensible and great sounding amp.

Good Luck with it

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like you made an informed decision based on research you had done. Good job. I look forward to hearing a tone report. And like the guy before me, let me welcome you to TGP as well.

Regards

8. cram

cram Member

Your post is the exact reason I browse these pages day to day.

I saw a post made by Mr. Peterson here about how he loved a certain music store because they fostered a community environment for gearheads to meet and discuss their craft and equipment. He cited it as the main reason why he puts effort into this site.

Thanks for posting back to the site what you ended up with and the description of why.

9. go7

go7 Member

Great choice.Enjoy!

10. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

David is the real deal.I love the Fudge 'n Nuts.You'll love yours too.

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

Congratulations! You chose well!

Great thing about the separate cab is that you can easily experiment
    with other speakers or use different cabs as desired.