Made something really cool today

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ARC Effects, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

A while back I was checking out Jack Orman's blog and came across a cool rechargeable battery powered pedal power supply ( http://www.muzique.com/news/rechargeable-battery-pack/ ) . What caught my attention was that unlike something like the Sanyo Pedal Juice his version used readily available (and cheap) AA batteries and was DIY'able. Jack never really indicated what he was planning to do with the project but I figured I'd send him a message asking about the possibility of getting a PCB made. Fast forward to now and with help from Jack I have a pretty cool battery powered power supply:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to test it a bit more to figure out what I get as far as mA per output and battery life but I tried it out and it worked perfect with no noise. I'm also going to put a daisy chain on one of the outputs and see what it can handle. I don't know if Jack is going to make this a regular offering through his site but I could definitely see this project catching on with the DIY'ers. I made this for less than 1/4 the price of the Pedal Juice and while it doesn't have the full capability of the PJ it has the added versatility of being about to put in new batteries as needed and is much cheaper.

I'll most likely be putting this along side my ISO 5 and using this to power the low consuming dirt pedals and leaving the ISO to cover the more power hungry pedals

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Nice build Aaron. You should put a "sag" feature for the loyal battery users for their fuzz pedals.

4. cajone5

cajone5 Some guy Silver Supporting Member

Killer -- would love to build one of these. Nice work :aok

5. jb4674

jb4674 Member

You should post the instructions along with a list of components so people can do it.

Awesome work man!

6. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

I'm not sure of Jack's plans for the project so out of respect for him I'll let him chime in where he sees fit.

7. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Why not 3 9v batteries in [whatever it is that combines mA and not voltage]?

8. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

That would probably be another question for Jack but I'm guessing the idea was to utilize the cheap availability of rechargeable AA's

9. Fredenando

Fredenando Member

Cool project!!

I was thinking in something simmilar for a long time, but my question is if we can use LiPo batteries than can be very cheap to buy on RC stores and can drain a lot of more power and durability...

It's an idea!!

10. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

A little update - After reading one of Jack's replies to his original blog post he stated that this box is capable of 100mA per output and I confirmed this as well. I've also used it for a few hours now and it works great, can't wait to finish the other one and possibly use it on a small board.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The AA batteries have a better track record for rechargeability and for output per volume. The 9v just aren't as good.