Maestro Echoplex clones/copies

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JMarck, May 17, 2006.

1. JMarck

JMarck Member

Can anyone recommend any copies or clones of this? Is the EH Memory Man a good choice?

Thanks

2. LHakim

LHakim Member

IMO the Deluxe Memory Man is the BEST choice as far as non-boutique analog pedals go. For inexpensive tape echo choices the old Univox/Unicord/Stage EC-100 is a respectable poor man's version of the EP3. Echoplex designer Mike Battle was selling a clone called the Plex but don't know if those are still available. Then there is the Fulltone TTE but not sure if that could really be considered a clone.

3. JMarck

JMarck Member

Does the Memory Man have the Tommy Bolin thing going on?

4. LHakim

LHakim Member

What exactly do you mean by the Tommy Bolin thing? I've got the old Billy Cobham lp "Spectrum" and Bolin plays up a storm. The DMM can get really "out there" but also excels for more subtle things.

5. JMarck

JMarck Member

Thats what I mean. The really fast oscillating echo sound like on "Standing In The Rain" By James gang, which he plays on.

6. LHakim

LHakim Member

I don't really know if the DMM will do that (will have to experiment a bit and see) but my old EC-100 tape echo will.

7. JMarck

JMarck Member

Do you know any copies other than the Univox that will cop that sound? How about the SIB echodrive (the red one), not the plus one

8. LHakim

LHakim Member

Sorry, can't answer your question. Hopefully others can chime in here.

9. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

As mentioned briefly above, the closest thing to an Echoplex is the Fulltone TTE. Some would argue that it is the new and improved Echoplex. In my opinion, nothing else will really come close.

10. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I used to play with Tommy Bolin, and yes, Enjoyer is right...The Fulltone TTE or an echo plex are the only real echo's that do that tape feedback thing right..I've owned a SIB and a Deluxe Memory Man, and they both just didn't do it for me. At the time, 1970-71, Tommy and I were both using SS Grey Echoplexes in Denver...A few years later, I went to the cartridge Echoplex Sireko, and that did the same thing

11. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

The old WEM Copycat's were in theory similar. I prefer the Echoplex. I've two, but don't really trust either enough to gig with them constantly. I'm seriously eyeballin' a Fulltone TTE

peace,

jb

12. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

The TTE is what every other "delay" wishes it could sound like. I have an AD999 that is a very good analogue pedal, but it's a toy compared to the Fulltone TTE. The TTE is a "new and improved" Echoplex, and worth the extra money. All I have to do is come up with the extra money.

13. JMarck

JMarck Member

How about the best possible choice for a echoplex copy under $500?

14. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

Don't be scared. Just buy a ep-3 and never look back!!!!
    nothing sounds like tape delay. There are great delays out there and most
    people in a drunk bar can't tell. But, for me. Life is short. I got to have the
    echoplex or tube echoplex or TTE. Got all three and love them all.
    The memory man IS a great pedal. Not that long of a delay and is easy
    available for well under $500.
    Hope it all works out for you
    tr
    :)

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I think that is good advice. I have an EP-3 and an EP-4 and they are fantastic. Get a new tape, clean up all contact points, de-magnatize the heads and away you go. I have found them to be quite reliable, despite the bit of maintenance required. I have no regrets with either of these units.

You should be able to score one within your price range.

On the analog delay pedal front, the DMM, the Jacques Prisoner, the blue SIB Echodrive and the Diamond Memory Lane are all great pedals in their own ways. They just can't really get you quite the same sound as a tape echo.

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

The Danelectro Reel Echo is the closest you'll get in this price range without actually gettting a tape echo unit like an old Echoplex or Fulltone TTE. It's whole layout works just like an echoplex, and although it's digital it sounds pretty authentic.

For a really cheap alternative try the Moen Pretty Dolly pedal which self oscillates and makes all the strange low and high pitched warbles when you turn the speed knob during the repeat overloads. The repeats also get louder and more distorted than the original signal. It's hard to control but the sounds are certainly Bolinesque.

17. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

They are supposed to be issuing a Fulltone TTE solid state version soon. Cheaper, but when?

18. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

I think a tape echo would be a pain in the club, whether on top of your pedalboard, or on top of an amp, or at the board, etc. The info on that Hi-watt rack mount is pretty limited and not too encouraging.
    that said, I can't wait for the new Fulltone, I may have to snag one and figure out a spot for it.

19. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member