• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Maestro type wahs

vintage66

Love the couple BMF demos and there’s the Wilson Rippah which also sounds good. How do these work as far as versatility and high gain like Alice In Chains? Any particular problems with hiss? Love the throaty character, why aren’t they more popular?

MoonshineMan

Love my BMF wah. I think it's based on the Maestro Boomerang, iirc.
I don't play anything super high gain, but I've ran it into my 2204 (combo) with everything set around noon and there weren't any problems with hiss.
I feel like that wah could work for anything. I think it could get into AiC territory with the right amp, but I don't know for sure.
It's so smooth. The best way I've found so far to describe it is "very easy on the ears". In a bright setup, I think you could do some damage, but for the most part, unless you're leaving it cocked in the toe-down position, it's simply amazing.
There's a reason Marc Ford has been using it for so long, and he's probably my favorite wah guy.

vintage66

Thanks Moonshineman, do you have any of the optional boards with yours? The stock board (maestro) sounds best to me in the comparison video but the Woodstock also has my eye.

vintage66

Any others? Leaning towards the BMF if it can cover the same bases as a classic Vox type but with a little different flavor. Also considering Rmc 10, MXR CAE, various Joe Gagan modded ones for more classic Vox sounds. Is the 10 hissy with gain? I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times. Also some Dunlop signatures, Cantrell, Bonamassa, EVH. Too many choices.

erksin

Get the BMF - you will not be sorry. Not a bad sound at any point in the sweep - toe down is sweet and clear with just enough top end rip, and the heel side thick but still articulate.

I think what I love most about it is that it has a slightly longer sweep than a Vox/CryBaby type. If you want more of the Vox/CryBaby type thinner sounds, you can just rock the top 2/3 of the sweep, for more Colorsound/croaky type sounds the bottom 2/3 is where it's at.

FWIW - I also have his Vox Grey Spec Wah board and it's killer for the early LZ1 type sounds. Absolutely nails the 'Communication Breakdown' tones. Super interested in getting the Clyde Spec as well, but I'm so friggin' happy with the Stock Spec that I just plain forget about changing anything.

MoonshineMan

Thanks Moonshineman, do you have any of the optional boards with yours? The stock board (maestro) sounds best to me in the comparison video but the Woodstock also has my eye.
Not yet. I also have a RMC4 (Picture Wah), so I'm pretty covered for now. I might see about Scott's other circuits at some point, but like @erksin said--the stock circuit is just incredible. I'll probably get one of his dirt boxes before I get another wah circuit. He's got some pretty unique stuff, as I understand it.

vintage66

Not yet. I also have a RMC4 (Picture Wah), so I'm pretty covered for now. I might see about Scott's other circuits at some point, but like @erksin said--the stock circuit is just incredible. I'll probably get one of his dirt boxes before I get another wah circuit. He's got some pretty unique stuff, as I understand it.
I have a Picture wah too, early one with no fuzz buffer. Love it but it does get hissy with higher gain.
The Godfather (I think it’s called) does sound good in the wah demo. You guys are talking me into the BFG.

vintage66

Get the BMF - you will not be sorry. Not a bad sound at any point in the sweep - toe down is sweet and clear with just enough top end rip, and the heel side thick but still articulate.

I think what I love most about it is that it has a slightly longer sweep than a Vox/CryBaby type. If you want more of the Vox/CryBaby type thinner sounds, you can just rock the top 2/3 of the sweep, for more Colorsound/croaky type sounds the bottom 2/3 is where it's at.

FWIW - I also have his Vox Grey Spec Wah board and it's killer for the early LZ1 type sounds. Absolutely nails the 'Communication Breakdown' tones. Super interested in getting the Clyde Spec as well, but I'm so friggin' happy with the Stock Spec that I just plain forget about changing anything.
Thanks for the input, if it sounds like the demo I’m sure I’ll love it.

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Any others? Leaning towards the BMF if it can cover the same bases as a classic Vox type but with a little different flavor. Also considering Rmc 10, MXR CAE, various Joe Gagan modded ones for more classic Vox sounds. Is the 10 hissy with gain? I’ve seen it mentioned a couple times. Also some Dunlop signatures, Cantrell, Bonamassa, EVH. Too many choices.
I have a Joe gagan hot rod Clyde and it's excellent, also looking into picking up good faux boomer which is a maestro style

MoonshineMan

I have a Picture wah too, early one with no fuzz buffer. Love it but it does get hissy with higher gain.
The Godfather (I think it’s called) does sound good in the wah demo. You guys are talking me into the BFG.
Mine is the Blue and white one with the fuzz buffer. It works really well with fuzz, as does the BMF.
You meant "BMF", not "BFG", right?? :)
The BMF is the most "right down the middle" wah I've played, but I haven't played many. I don't know if it would work for the Xtreme!!!! stuff, but it's flawless in the bluesrock arena, and I can't see it having problems doing anything else.

vintage66

I do blues rock too up to some classic metal, Hendrix, Trower (someone mentioned the Maestro nails Trower), AIC, I really like the midrange of the Pic Wah, don’t like the quick throw of standard crybabies, seems like the extended midrange of the BMF would fit me.

Hey, I came upon this searching for TGP for info on replacement wah PCB’s for my old Thomas Organ wah that’s got a damaged board. I actually created a specific thread on the topic a couple times but nobody seems to know about this.. I was wondering though if BMF, or a similar builder sells a PC board that could be mounted inside a Crybaby shell?? I can’t remember exactly but I think the BMF boards were designed to be interchangeable “modules” that can be swapped between Crybaby, Clyde-Mcoy, etc.. and may only come with a snap in connector. Do you have any info about this? I’d love to build something similar to Jam Pedals-“whacko” minus some of the switching.. I played one today alongside thier Univibe, delays, and several others including a fuzz and it was the best I’ve ever heard hands down!! Really fantastic!

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member
Hey, I came upon this searching for TGP for info on replacement wah PCB’s for my old Thomas Organ wah that’s got a damaged board. I actually created a specific thread on the topic a couple times but nobody seems to know about this.. I was wondering though if BMF, or a similar builder sells a PC board that could be mounted inside a Crybaby shell?? I can’t remember exactly but I think the BMF boards were designed to be interchangeable “modules” that can be swapped between Crybaby, Clyde-Mcoy, etc.. and may only come with a snap in connector. Do you have any info about this? I’d love to build something similar to Jam Pedals-“whacko” minus some of the switching.. I played one today alongside thier Univibe, delays, and several others including a fuzz and it was the best I’ve ever heard hands down!! Really fantastic!
If you contact @joegagan he can get you sorted out

vintage66

Btw, I got the BMF, very nice wah, great construction. The lows are very cool, I tend to accentuate that end while playing it. The highs are there, not as prominent as my Picture wah but it’s a Maestro so that’s its sound. I was afraid it would be too different to use the same way on familiar songs but it’s not that different an animal, just focuses more on low end growl. of course I could change the board later and might try the Hendrix or something else later. Any recommendations?

MoonshineMan

You can always just ask Scott @BMF Effects
:)

Trending Topics