Magic Amps Brit clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

As some of you may know, TGP's Mike "Moods" Moody makes an amp that is called the Brit. It's a rockin little 1x12 (with a Cele Blue), 15W 2xEL84 amp in a nice lookin little package. I played the prototype last fall and dug it but he's tweaked on it quite a bit since then and really has it dialed in pretty nice.

I borrowed one of the recent models yesterday and made up a little groove to demo the amp. I know some guys wanted to hear what these sound like cause we were talking about them several weeks ago. Mike's a bud and lives lives just a few blocks away so I got this amp and knocked out this clip on Friday afternoon. Wasn't planning on it getting quite as elaborate as it did, but man, it was just too much fun. Managed to cram 5 different guitars in here, hahaha!

I think I'm gonna turn this into an actual song with lyrics and so on, but for now:

Brit Sample

Starts out with a crunch Tele on the left.
    Shortly thereafter enters a DeArmond M77t on the right.
    Then comes a Strat for the first improv.
    Then back to the DeArmond for a sort of bridge.
    The end of the bridge brings in harmonized slide guitars (my Driskill with Lollar P90s).
    Out of the bridge and into kerranging Les Pauls for the final solo and rhythm on right.

There were absolutely no boxes/effects used. The guitars was plugged right into the amp, which was stuck in my isolation room. I added some reverb and delay on some of the parts in the mix, though some are completely dry too.

I had a Shure SM57 stuck just off axis about 5 or 6" from the speaker. Very minimal tweaking on the amp. Just played with the Gain knob and a couple of minor EQ adjustments. Total no-brainer to setup and play.

I was very impressed with all the different sounds I could coax out of this amp.

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

KILLER STUFF Leon!

wow. that amp and your playing sound great!

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Tasty work, Leon!

4. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jeez, Leon!
    I wanna sound like you when I grows up.

Best, Pete.

5. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Wow! Amazing playing and amazing tones! One of my favorites clips from you Leon!

6. Leonc

Joe & Ogre - thanks!
    Pete - first, we need to work on your wardrobe hahahah!
    Myron - thanks as always, my friend!

Ya the amp is a pretty impressive little package. What I really dug was how many sounds we got out of it with just a few minor changes to gain and EQ and how well each guitar's personality shown through. Man...I love that DeArmond!! Cheapest guitar I own. Ha!

7. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

Hey Leon, thanks for taking the time to put this together!

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Leon, every clip you have posted is astounding. Great tone.

Cool that Moods is making amps.

9. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

Hey Leon-nice songwriting man. That's a very catchy tune.

Great playing and clips too.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Very impressive, Leon, the amp sounds good too.:AOK

I'm such a bone head when it comes to tech stuff. Maybe someday I'll look for a recorder that's idiot proof.

Thanks for the post.

Greg

11. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Okay......I'll take one.

12. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Nice Clip

I gotta say it again..... I'm just LOVING mine.

I make my living as a guitarist / producer and I find myself using it more and more. I did some tracks the other for another producer who came to me for guitar trax. I mic'd up the Brit w/ a Royer 121 and did gtr tracks ALL day w/ that one amp. Big huge crunchy LP stuff - compressed chimey (almost Fixx-ish) stuff - weirdo Radiohead dissonant noise tracks - hollowbody retro stuff.........

That little amp has got ALOT of sounds in it and really shows the personality of each guitar remarkably

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Member

Killer Tones! I've had mine for several months now and love more and more each time I use it. I love using it with my Tele, Gibson 335 and LP Junior. I get great Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Queen and Foo Fighters sounds all with small ajustments.

This amp is perfect for small night clubs, churches, and mic'd in larger venues. It sounds incredible mic'd and for recording. I am loving it! It is not too loud in smaller settings and is loud enough in larger setting. It sounds great in small studiorooms and large rooms.

This is a great sound clip and represents the amp spot on without any studio after production hype! Anyone looking for Vox tone in a smaller package should get one. Great work Mike!

14. michael dukes

michael dukes Member

My experience too: the Magic sounds wonderful with any guitar I throw at it. You really can use it on several tracks within the same song without suffering the sameness or undesirable mushy buildup that some amps give you under those circumstances. Insanely pedal friendly, but will cover a huge range without pedals as well.

A definite winner. I always have a long list of stuff I want to buy next -- an old J-200, a Les Paul, a Royer 121 -- but my next major purchase will be a 2nd Magic as a backup. And I'm not a guy who normally has duplicates of anything, FWIW.

Plus it's a total chick magnet...no wait, that's my big old Gretsch I'm thinking of...

15. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

your big ol' what ??

:nono

16. Jason Lollar

Jason Lollar Member

17. Leonc

10" record...of her favorite blues....:angel

hahahah!

Guys thanks! Yeah, I suspect I could learn a few things about recording if I hung out with Danocaster and Michael Dukes--Mike thinks a whole lot of you guys!

Hey Jason, bud, your pups are just so rippin good. In 3/4 of a second we knew that guitar was gonna sound perfect for that part.

18. e-z

e-z Member

How can one purchase one of these amps if one was interested?

19. Leonc

I'm not 100% clear on what Mike's plans are for the amp; he made a batch of them and sold them all, but I think he's collecting orders for another batch. He's 'moods' on the forum. Look him up, or maybe he'll chime in (I'll ask him to post something in the Dealer's Emporium section for anyone interested).

20. trisonic

trisonic Member

Leon,
    It's great to support our Bros' endeavors. Have you heard the clip that (local to me) Jimmy Somma put up in Members Soundclips of his "Roaring 20" amp yesterday?
    Superb Strat sound, check it out too.

Best, Pete.