Magic amps vibro prince or louis or vintage sound Princeton clones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by es137p, Mar 22, 2015.

1. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I know there are lots of threads. The Louis sounds amazing, but $2500 is steep. Anyone played both the the Magic and Vintage Sound Princeton clones to compare/contrast them?

2. spayne99

spayne99 Member

I think the Magic and Vintage sound will be a whole lot more alike than they are different. Biggest difference is the Vintage Sound adds a 12" speaker, mids knob, reverb dwell knob, and bias points on the back of the chassis. I've got a new Vintage Sound 15 and everything you've read is true... fantastic amp. Good luck!

3. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I'm itching to try Lou's Blackface designs....

4. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

thanks guys. I think they're all nice. I heard great clips from Lou's amps, big $ though.

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, they're not cheap, I agree. But, I've had 4 or 5 of Lou's amps (still have a KR-12 and Buster) and I've enjoyed them all.

If I head in the Blackface direction, I would go for the 2x10 model.

6. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Just buy whatever's in the emporium. :)

7. hapharriman

hapharriman Silver Supporting Member

Can't speak to Lou's new bf models or Vintage Sound. Have a Vibro Prince with a special cab to house a 12". Have gigged a ton with it over the year I've had it, it's great at low to medium volumes and something really special opened up.

[​IMG]

8. tochiro

tochiro Member

Taking the sound into account only, are those boutique versions really better than the stock PRRI?

9. spayne99

spayne99 Member

This is a tricky question because I always thought my PRRI sounded pretty good! I will say that the PRRI had a slight harshness to the treble that the Vintage Sound does not have, and it had a bit of extra noise/hiss in the reverb and tremolo that the Vintage Sound does not have.

Hard to truly compare because you have to consider the whole package... differences in speakers, tubes, transformers, cab construction, and of course the internal parts and wiring.

Both amps sound like a Princeton Reverb. The Vintage Sound sounds better, to me. Warmer and rounder. But really it's taking what's already good and making it better.

10. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

11. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

For me it would be between the Gries 12 or the Magic Vibro Prince.

nickthenail likes this.
  13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Moods posted an updated/alternate flavor of Vibro Prince on his Facebook page yesterday. Piqued my interest.

SFT, brettmoor and tinkercity like this.
  14. e???

e??? Member

Played a vintage sound recently and was impressed. A warm blackface sound, not harsh like the 65' reissues or many blackface styles. I loved it, decently priced too. Unfortunately I haven't tried Lou's so can't give you a compare/contrast. The vintage sound was a lot better than the swarts I've tried though

15. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

Me too. Wondering how the headroom and volume is in relation to a band mix.

16. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    tossing another builder into the mix for a Princeton style amp - Headstrong Lil' King. You can order it w/12" or trad 10" speaker and its a monster. I had one w/the 12" speaker and it was huge, completely NOT-boxy, just very big 3D Princeton tone from the standard Princeton size cab. The 12" speaker in a Princeton makes a pretty big difference over the 10". Getting a super efficient 10" will get you closer to what a 12 will deliver but they are different, Princeton purist will not abide the 12" speaker in that amp. The Headstrong Lil' Kings are built like tanks and bring the original PR mojo in a big way. As to a cost comparison - it's a wide open discussion - a PRRI modded to improve it, but stopping short of a total hand-wire rebuild is a value decision you need to make against finding a vintage Black or Silver face and sending it to a tech for the tune-up, and all that weighed against a new re-creation build... it's worth the homework.

17. SFT

SFT Member

What speakers do you guys like in 12" in the Princeton Reverb?

18. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

I'd agree with this. I had both a VS20 and a PRRI for a couple months. As soon as I switched to the PRRI after playing the VS for a bit, I instantly had to reach for the treble control and turn it almost off.

Prior to hearing the VS, I thought the PRRI sounded great on it's own but a direct comparison resulted in the VS having a more rounded/full sound that was not fatiguing at all.

19. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

A friend help me blind A-B my stock 1964 Princeton Reverb against a current PRRI (amps were out of sight, and I could't tell by looking which was which) and I easily chose my '64 as the favorite. I recently did the same thing with my Princetone Reverb against a Louis Electric Princetone running 6L6s and I liked the Louis Electric best. A fuller, more versatile range of tones with incredible bass clarity - some of that most likely due to the G12H-30 over the 10" in the Fender. Got the Princetone used, so the price was more affordable. The Louis Electric is now my gigging amp but I'm still not selling the Fender ;)

20. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I heard an upper mid/ treble harshness in the '65 PRRI also. Last night I installed a Celestion G10 Gold speaker. My goodness what a HUGE, massive tonal upgrade! I also have a little more clean headroom. the Vol at (4) now sounds as loud as it used to when it was at 5-6.

Here are a couple video's I made last night. I had a Keeley GC-2 Limiter set to slightly engage on peaks. But the PRRI sounds massively better with the G10 Gold speaker and still has its Fender voice!

ziehmrd likes this.