1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Magic Brit II TB/86 on the way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jonster, May 19, 2011.

1. Jonster

Jonster Member

I jumped on the Magic Brit II that a fellow GP'r had up for sale (nice guy to boot).
    $2,100 shipped.....that's alot o' beans for me to shell out, but I think (hope) it will be way worth it.

Feel free to further excite (console!) me. ;)

I will try to get up some clips when it arrives. It has the TB & EF86 channels, 1x12 combo. Can't wait!!!! I'm a little excited, case ya didn't notice. In my 39 years on guitar, 70+ amps later....I think I am most excited about this particular amp. High hopes.....

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Mike's amps are fine fine work, I'm jealous.

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

You'll be stoked and it will not be your last amp from Mike. Mine puts a smile on my face every time I plug in. Enjoy!

4. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

You have no idea what a treat you are in for!!!

5. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

6. Jonster

Jonster Member

The Brit II has landed, and all I can say is "wow".

This is truly the end-game amp for the guitar-cord-amp crowd. That's all that is needed for killer tones. The big surprise for me: as nice as the EF86 channel is, I actually prefer the TB channel. I like the tone controls, and I like the punch of that channel. This amp just kills with my CS Tele, and my LP. Can't get a bad tone out of it. Mike is really on to something. I have owned too many amps to discuss, including a vintage AC30, and all of the RI's over the years. I've used a 63 AC30 (tob boost added) in sessions, and a vintage AC15. This Brit beats them all. I was worried about spending the coin for another 15 watt amp........NOT. :)

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've been following Mike's work for several years now
    and not once have I ever heard anything but gushing reviews
    of his builds.

Where abouts are you in Northern VA.

I'd love to hear it.

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, that is one fine amp. Soooooo much fun. Enjoy!

Rob - Go hear it!!

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've been trying to save up for one and still intend to go for one,
    but life keeps getting in the way.

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

get the latest updates. As good as my old MB was, it got even better with the new tweaks.

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The EF86 channel was very good before, but it KILLS now. My 335 sounds perfect through it, whereas the strat likes to hang over on the TB side.

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I sent mine back and got the pro mods, the 8 ohm Blue and now it is a freakin' amazing tone machine.

You guys have to hear it with a Maxon Sd-9!

13. ItJustRocks

I recently got one - love it! Mine is TB and EF86 with a Scumnico. What are the pro mods?

14. destinjohnny

destinjohnny Member

mine is being made as I type. I was thinking about getting the zep 1 amp as well.

15. Jonster

Jonster Member

Rocks,

How are you liking the Scumnico? How would that vary from the blue? Mine has the blue, and it sounds killer, but I wouldn't mind a bit thicker in the low mids. Is that a green-back variant? I also wonder how a G12H30 might sound....

16. ItJustRocks

The Scumnico is awesome! The bottom says very tight across all volume ranges. The speaker isn't as efficient as the blue so it tames the volume a little bit. The highs are a bit more round if that makes sense, slightly less sizzle than a blue - however its been a while since I've played an amp with a blue so its not a side-by-side comparison.

17. ItJustRocks

Going to try other speakers soon so I'll let you know what I think.

18. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

On the way to me from Michael! TB/86.

I probably won't see it for a week or so seeing as I'm in Australia. But I'm really looking forward to it.

[​IMG]

19. Songman

Songman Member

What is the weight for his combo and dimension?

20. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Damn, the Brit is SO good!

For some years now I've tried to replace my AC30 with various boutique amps looking for a lower volume, lighter carrying alternative. 65 Amps, TopHat, Matchless, Swart... Somehow I kept coming back to that AC30. I did kinda like the Swart AST's I had for an alternate tone and can see myself with one again someday but they still weren't exactly "me". The Brit though is exactly me. Not only that, but in side by side comparisons with my AC30 I'd say that I like it more. It has more than enough size, feels better to play through and is somehow just classier! The trebles are sweeter on the top boost channel. The EF86 channel isn't as forward as the TB channel but it has such depth and extended frequency without being flubby in the lows. "Balanced" is probably the term I'd use for the amp. Everything just seems to be balanced just right.