"Magic Bulldog" or Miserable life of the pub musician.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Pickmaster, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pickmaster

Pickmaster Member

Unfortunately in most pubs I play, music is a tertiary form of an entertainment – five or six people are listening and fifteen or more slaughtering themselves with booze, watching football without sound on TV or chatting away. But that’s OK!
    Worst is when I go to some lovely, “cradle of the blues” large pub in a small village, in the middle of nowhere, to impress some enthusiastic blues lovers and there are just two men and a …. PIG! lying under the table. Oh, no, apparently it was a landlord’s pet – a big, fat, blond bulldog, looking more like a pig than a dog!
    After we started to play a slow and sweet blues tune, these two men finished their pints and walked out. We where left there to entertain moaning bar staff, a worried landlord and a fat bulldog “Bobby”, which came out from his resting place and was enjoying music immensely.
    He was sitting in front of the PA with a wide grin on his round muzzle, with the surprising synchronicity rotating small, shiny eyes and a short tail in the rhythm of the music. Time to time “Bobby” was howling almost in unison with the singer on some minor blues songs, which made me call him “ Howlin’ Bobby Dog Sailor” (the pub’s name was “The Sailor Boy”).
    The evening’s greatest moment, after first part of the gig, was when Bobby ran away and returned with a big, shiny “mojo” bone in his mouth. He dropped it in front of us like saying: “hey guys! This is the best thing I’ve got and I’m giving it up for your magnificent performance, thank you”. That was truly moving!
    The second half of the gig went great, probably curtsy of the Bobby’s mojo bone . Suddenly loads of true Booze & Blues admirers came in and enjoyed the rest of the evening, saving our reputation and the landlord’s budget.

Forgive me this bitter-sweet story but that’s how the song “Magic Bulldog” was born. On Sax - Australian brother Andy Thompson, on Backig vocals - lovely Helen MacDougall, rest of the vocal & "band" - me.
    Enjoy - http://www.drika.biz/MagicBulldog.mp3

2. Soulman

Soulman Member

Great story!

The track is very Zappa...love it!:AOK

3. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Oh yes!

scorched the fretboard at the end my man. Damn.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Oh ... I sooo love your story of Bobby's howling
    & dropping the "mojo" bone as a gift of appreciation ..

Fun lyrics... good tune & smoking playing by all ... too cool indeed!!

5. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Great story! Go Bobby!

6. Mike T

Mike T Member

Love the story, man! Clean tight, awesome playing and arrangement. Great sax and vocals. Love the wa wa too. Those 32nd notes at the end....ouch!!! BTW, what kind of wa wa was that?

7. Pickmaster

Pickmaster Member

Soulman, Woody, Joseph,Andy, Mike....
    Thanks guys, I'm happy you liked it.

Mike, wa wa is a moded VOX in front of the KOCH pedaltone straight
    to the computer.

8. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Diggin it Pick! Funky baby!