Magic or Speed Shop tweed deluxe?

Engineer0127

Silver Supporting Member
I have no experience with the Magic 5E3, but I spent a crazy amount of time researching when I was on my Tweed Deluxe quest. I learned that there were great options from MANY reputable builders including Clark, Lil Dawg, Victoria, Tungsten (actually bought his Champ... great amp!), Germino, etc. All fantastic choices. It was such a hard decision. In the end I really liked the approach that Rondo from the Speed Shop was taking. I really appreciated the amount of time and effort he put into developing his own spec transformers as well as his A12Q speakers... all with the intent of replicating the vintage Tweed Deluxe sound that I was most interested in. The man has an amazing passion for what he does and that passion is evident in the product he puts out. As I'm sure you know... his amps are expensive, but if you are looking for a "lifetime" amp and are prepared for the cost, I would highly recommend giving him a call to discuss. What I like most about my P2P... infinitely tweakable - I found the useable range of the knobs has a wider span than other amps I had tried; DEAD silent - even when cranked, amazing string to string clarity with volume rolled back - roars like a lion with the volume rolled up, bass is relatively firm (for a 5E3 of course!), sounds great right out of the box with the A12Q speaker and I love it with a Celestion Blue as well (I swap back and forth depending on the application), I had him install a half power toggle switch which is awesome for quieter playing at home (no tone loss). Ultimately, the best recommendation is to play as many as you can... you may find an option that suits your needs at a lower cost. If you get to try a few and they don't scratch that itch - give Rondo a call.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Magic 5e3 and cannot imagine a 5e3 being much better than this. It is an exemplary example of the amp. I've bought more amps than I care to admit in the past 15 years, so I know a good amp when I hear one. This Magic 5e3 is a great amp. It's easily one of the best ones I've played.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Magic 5e3 and cannot imagine a 5e3 being much better than this. It is an exemplary example of the amp. I've bought more amps than I care to admit in the past 15 years, so I know a good amp when I hear one. This Magic 5e3 is a great amp. It's easily one of the best ones I've played.
Agreed. I had the classic version and was incredible. I'd love another one some day. I've been a fan of Mike's amps for years. I definitely miss my old white Brit combo... ahh the perils of GAS!

x24gtrman

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned 2 Clark Beaufort amps. They were great 5E3 clones. I had the Speed Shop 12 in the second one. What a great speaker for that amp. In my quest to find a 3rd Beaufort I came across a Smith Custom CS15 which is a variation on the 5E3 theme. It has a 3 way voicing switch for each channel, a single input and you have to use a toggle to jumper the channels together. Currently it has a WGS 12Q inside and it has become my main amp. Lightweight, loud and functional for my situation.
All the other brands mentioned here are good. It's up to you to decide which one suits your style, taste and budget. You can't go wrong with any of them.

leighianson

Silver Supporting Member
Not to throw a spanner in the works but I thought I’d share my experience. On a trip to LA last year (I’m from Australia) I played a 1960 tweed deluxe at Hollywood guitar center and fell in love with it, I didn’t pick it up straight away though as I had a few more gear shops to go to on the trip. One of those was LA vintage gear. Whilst I was there I played a Magic tweed deluxe and to be honest it sounded pretty different and quite plain/boring compared to the old vintage one. I then went back a few days later to GC in Hollywood, grabbed the 1960 and brought it back to Australia with me

Trending Topics