Magicboy vs. MoFaux

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

Due to space issues I had to kick the CC2 (with the Provibe) and more recently the Fulltone Deja-vibe off my pedalboard, but I do NOT believe the vibe sound can be replaced (approximated but not replaced) by a chorus or phaser (not even a good one). So what I need is a little vibe. I think I have it down to the Magicboy and the MoFaux, and I am leaning toward the Magicboy. I am wondering if anyone here has or has tried both, and can guide my hand as I click the "order now" button.
    Thanks all,
    Wooley

2. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I have 2 Magicboys and have heard and played a friends Mofaux. You'd be hard pressed to tell the differance between them under playing conditions althou I think the Mofaux may be a bit closer to an original Univibes swell then the Magicboy but the Magics sound appeals to me more. Maybe it's because it's a fantastic take on that effect. I'v got a Mojo and a Magic on my board for that reason. As for the Mofuax, it cost about the same but has a d/c in...a convenience that may tip the scale for ya'

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Could you elaborate on this for me a little? This is really the issue at heart here for me. I like the soundclips of the Magicboy better than the MF, but soundclips can be so misleading. I wonder if what I liked about it is what you are referring to. And what, specifically do you mean by "fantastic take on that effect". Also, which one is smaller (that plays a big role here)?
    Thanks

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

also keep in mind the MoFaux (and I think the Magic does too) have an internal trim adjustment that signifigantly changes the shape and roll of the pedal....

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I have had both and prefer the Magic Boy. However, I didn't mess with the internal trim on the MoFaux and that might have made me like it better. I've actually had a couple Magic Boys and am about to buy another. That shiny box and price drop are enough for me to have 2!

6. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I had a Magicboy, and it tended to sound too "watery" to me, no matter where I set the trim pot inside or where I put it in my effects chain. There seemed to be a phaser-type effect mixed in with the vibe signal which I didn't care for. Add to that, there was no AC jack or LED. I traded it straight up for a Mo-Faux, and it's much more of a straight vibe, to my ears. Sounds phenominal with a clean signal or mild OD. The Mo-Faux does have an AC jack and LED and does not suck tone when turned off. I couldn't be happier.
    [​IMG]

7. Wooley

Wooley Member

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I actually want the more watery and phase-like of the two. That was the difference I thought I heard between the sound clips. I always use the "Chorus" setting on my Deja-vibe and CC2 and never the "Vibrato" setting, so that is really the way I am leaning. Thanks for your help, that probably settles it.:AOK

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Both are nice...I kept the MF for two reasons: not as bright and closer to unity gain.
    Greg

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, as far as I know how you create a vibe effect is by mixing a Phaser with a vibrato...

10. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Actually you mix vibrato with dry signal, you get the phaser/Uni-vibe sound.
    What separates the vibe sound from a normal phaser sound is 2 things: LFO wave shape, which in a real vibe circuit is an interaction of photo cell response, incadescent bulb response, light cover and of course the LFO waveform itself.

And also 4 stages being tuned differently frequency wise.

The end result is a phaser sound that has a very "sea sick" sound if used with max. intensity. But that's what makes them Vibes in the Uni-Vibe sense.

In a "normal" phaser you a what's called "all pass filters". Passing all selected frequencies equally, not the separately tuned filters of a uni-vibe type effect.
    And also "usually" the LFO waveform is a either a normal triangle or sine wave. Which is much more even sounding. Of course there are phasers that have many more waveforms in the LFO section, but they are usually the higher end models.

There are a lot of pedals out there that have the word "vibe" in them but are not Uni-Vibe type effects. So it's confusing to the user what they're getting sometimes. And Fender started it all with their "Vibrato" channel on their amps, when in reality it's Tremolo!

I think some companies go out of their way to keep us confused:NUTS

11. amoebas

amoebas Guest

a univibe is simply a different, discrete phaser...

:D

12. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have tried both the Magicboy and MoFaux.

I tried a blind sound clip test a few months ago and picked the Magicboy.

In the real world, I kept the MoFaux.

There is a very beautiful "bloom" that I get with the MF. The MB was nice, but the MF was better to my ears. And the ac jack was a definite plus. I also don't care for the folded boxes that Lovepedal has started using. Although I think that may make them a bit smaller.

;)

13. dan-o-guitar

dan-o-guitar Member

I haven't tried the MoFaux, but I love my Magicboy--it is pretty much the perfect swirly vibe sound for me. The lack of an indicator LED and 9v input are a certainly a downside. I modded mine to add these, but the overall box is pretty flimsy--the two sheet metal screws that hold it together stripped out after a week and I had to replace them with larger screws.

The whole thing is going to be re-housed in Hammand box next week and I'll replace the trim pot with and external pot so I can tweak it without have to open the box. A bit of work, but worth it for the sound.

14. Wooley

Wooley Member

Anybody else have these kind of problems? It's the one thing that concerns me about Lovepedal boxes, they don't look all that sturdy. Those folded metal-screwed-together boxes don't exactly instill confidence, and the lack of an LED in the year 2006 seems a little retarded (although I have read about circuits that don't do all that well with LEDs).

15. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

The Box has held up fine for me. Not my #1 choice for enclosure but I don't have any issues with it. As far as the LED I don't have a problem with it as there is no question when it is on.

16. mprvise

mprvise Member

+1 Love mine - exactly what I was looking for. Vibey sound, small package, simple control. Given that I only use mine once or twice per gig it's all I need. No issues with the enclosure, and I have two pedals made like this.

17. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I didn't like that folded metal box. Whether it's "sturdy enough" or not, and I'm sure you'd have to really wail on it to even potentially damage it, his previous boxes are more solid feeling, plain and simple. For example I love the box he put my COT50 in last summer. It's about the same dimensions as the taller older COTs, but a little shorter vertically. Very compact and solid.

I ultimately gave up on the Magicboy after initially being enthralled with it. The sound is good enough, but after spending a few months with it I felt that it introduced too much high end. I don't mind the lack of LED since you can always tell it's on, but the lack of a power jack made the pedal dispensible when the Mofaux came out. I have yet to get one of those, however.

18. billygoat

billygoat Member

Let me throw another pedal into the mix. How do these vibes compare to the voodoo labs micro vibe with respect to authentic univibe sound, and sound in general.

19. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Good question. I had the VL since 1997, sold it in 2005 and then got the Magicboy. The VL sounded more authentic to me and considering I sold it for for $80, I should've just kept it.