MagicStomp issues.......advice?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimfog, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

hey,

Just picked up a Magicstomp (v 1, I guess) used from GC.

Couple problems that maybe ya'll can help with.

I'm getting VERY low, nearly non-existent, signal from the LEFT (mono) Output. Right channel seems fine and reacts to the Vol Control, but Left is screwy. Any ideas, or is it screwed?

I have tried a factory reset, to no avail.

Also, I'm running a Mac OSX (v10.4.1).........am I just out of luck if I want to use the patch editor?

It's a shame, because the sounds I CAN get an idea of through the RIGHT output have possibilities.

Any and all advice appreciated!

- jim

2. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

Sounds like a dud!
    Could be just a dodgy connection or at worst a blown chip on the output end of things.
    I've never had one with that problem.

Try instaling the new firmware and see if that helps.

3. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

4. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

yep, that's my my group, just let us know if the problems persist and we can draw on some collective know-how.

5. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Hey........considering going to get this fixed, but here's the deal-breaker question.

Can you use the Patch editor with Mac OSx? Is there a work-around? Do later versions support OSX?

Thanks!

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

No mac osx support a-tall. Really big drag.

7. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Thanks! Deal breaker for me..........it's going back, unless anyone wants one with the above issues.

8. fly135

fly135 Member

FWIW, I've had 3 MS's (currently 2) and none had have had issues with the footswitches, although I've heard others complain about them. And none have had problems communicating with the computer over USB.

On the flip side the midi connected software for my ToneLab was notoriously picky and prone to not being able to open the midi output. This was on a couple different computers and different midi interfaces. I had the best luck with a USB->Midi adapter. But it virtually refused to work 99% of the time with the soundcard midi.

9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

I had problems with my switches but changed them out and have had no issues since then.

I have had zero issues using it whith my pc ever!

+1 on the delay. I finally just set it to some delay and reverb set it in the loop and forget about it.

10. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I spent a couple months on and off trying to get the software driver to work. Finally succeeded but it really should not have been that difficult. I really dig the delays of the MS, and also have gotten some cool overdrive sounds from it. Really need the software to adjust things, using the MS controls is a joke.

11. g-nem

g-nem Member

I sent mine in to yamaha to get them replaced- took a minute but was ok.

Did you replace yours yourself? What did you use?

12. countandduke

countandduke Member

LOVE my Magicstomp II NEVER been an issue. I think the Holdsworth patches are the best...

Good luck, I got my MS II for $99 on ebay...

Chris

13. heavypick

heavypick Member

Jim, you ever get that fixed? The same thing just happened to my Magicstomp, which has been on my board for years. I got a real screwy reply from Yamaha, which I'll post one day when I have time. I'm curious what the fix is.

14. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

no...I took it back to GC.

I would have gotten it fixed, but there was NO patch editor for Mac OSX.....basically made the MS kind of useless for me.

Bummer.

Good luck.

15. heavypick

heavypick Member

I thought about bringing mine in to the shop but it would probably cost more than finding a used one. I have OSX and am in the same boat, but for what it is, it's not a bad unit.

16. heavypick

heavypick Member

This is pretty bizzare. The left output jack died on me at a rehearsal last friday and I spent some time trying to confirm, and it seemed like that was the problem as I got signal through the right but not left. Then tonight, just to be sure, I plugged it back in the left output and now.....it works. I'm gonna do something really risky and do an audition tomorrow with the MS on my board. Let's see how it goes.

17. kp8

kp8 Member

i love the MS II.... if only they weren't so frail. I gig with mine all the time and am almost dependent on it. I live in constant fear mine will fail and would love to get a back up but the prices on these have shot back up again.

18. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

For some reason the first versions seem to be a bit more durable than the second ones....
    I've never had problems with my upgraded MK1s, but the factory MK2s tend to have a few glitches here and there with the tuner etc.

I'm using 4 at the moment and, touch wood, they have been perfect. The tuner doesn't like excessive lighting for some reason as the interference effects the tracking, but that's the same with most tuners I've found.

It's still a great unit for the price and has some effects that you can't get anywhere else so I'm going to continue developing patches until something of the same caliber comes along.