• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Magnatone 210 Replacement speaker options?

iinsic

I recently picked up a Magnatone 210 from a fellow TGPer in a trade and am considering replacing the existing 8" speaker with another 8". I've looked at Weber Vintage or Chicago Vintage as possibilities. Are there any other recommendations for low wattage 8" speakers out there? The amp currently sounds something like a cross between a Vibro Champ and a low wattage Valco, and I'm hoping to maintain most of that and gain a little efficiency if possible.

Thanks

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
The best 8" speaker I've heard is an old Jensen alnico in good condition. What speaker was in it? Is it shot? I've only heard these in "tweedy, American-voiced" amps like Champs and Valcos....and it would probably sound great in your 210 as well.

'58Bassman

I recently picked up a Magnatone 210 from a fellow TGPer in a trade and am considering replacing the existing 8" speaker with another 8". I've looked at Weber Vintage or Chicago Vintage as possibilities. Are there any other recommendations for low wattage 8" speakers out there? The amp currently sounds something like a cross between a Vibro Champ and a low wattage Valco, and I'm hoping to maintain most of that and gain a little efficiency if possible.

Thanks
Are you sure you want to change the inherent qualities of the amp? I changed the speaker in a BFVC and I didn't like it. It was a good replacement speaker (Weber Alnico Sig 8) but it never broke up the way I had hoped. I have a 210, too- it blows that BFVC out of the water in every way and I wouldn't change the sound of it for any reason. I may try it with different speakers just for grins, but I think it would be a real killer if it was mic'd even if it was left stock. I may look for another speaker like the OEM just to keep the OEM in good shape.

Got any photos to post here?

I don't know if you're using pedals, or not- I haven't even used one, so far. Just the amp set to about 8, Treble 6-8 and I use the volume on the guitar to work with clean/dirty. If you need it to be louder, the Alnico Sig 8 from Weber would probably be a good bet.

'58Bassman

The best 8" speaker I've heard is an old Jensen alnico in good condition. What speaker was in it? Is it shot? I've only heard these in "tweedy, American-voiced" amps like Champs and Valcos....and it would probably sound great in your 210 as well.
These come with a Jensen "Special Design" Alnico speaker but I would imagine many have been replaced, over the years.

HarpBoy

I've had a '56 Magnatone for many years, and recently replaced the original Jensen with a Weber Chicago Vintage. My thinking is that the amp is what it is, a 50's tweed, low powered classic. Why would I want to change the sound of that? It's not necessarily the perfect amp in every situation, but it is perfect in certain situations. I want to preserve that sound as being from a certain point in the history of amplified music. I'm not interested in changing that, to make it something it's not.

But that's just me. I have other amps to do things the Magnatone can't. And I have the Magnatone to do things my other amps can't. "Don't change a classic", is my mantra. "Classic" doesn't equate to "better", but it's its own thing.

Trending Topics