• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Magnatone Amps at NAMM 2014

blues54

Last year at the 2013 NAMM show it was revealed to all of us that the Magnatone Amp line was being revived and re-introduced. There was a lot of buzz and excitement especially for those that were lucky enough to get to hear the new amp line.

The Buzz is over. The flood gates have opened. The new line of amps maybe the best overall line of amplifiers introduced in the last 30 years period. They make amplifiers to meet every players demands, tastes, and styles of music with some of the best build quality ever.

In July I got to hear the 1 x 12" Varsity. Maybe the best sounding Vox style AC-15/30 type of amp to come along in a long time. I've owned a Winfield Cyclone for over a year. The Varsity just kicks the Winny's and it is a greta amp in its it own right. By August I got to hear the Twilighter and said to my self "Oh no" I had just purchased a Tone King Sky King. They are different enough so I thought I had to get one. I took it for a test drive at a gig and I was done. I sold some other great boutique amps (I won't mention their names) to fund the Twilighter purchase.

Good Lord! It is the loudest, stoutest, richest sounding 2 6V6 amp you will hear. Obeid Kahn (Amp Designer) and Ted Kornblum (CEO) are clearly on to something. The Twilighter has the best reverb (4 springs in opposite directions) you will ever hear, and they have the rights to the original pitch shifting Magnatone Vibrato that they have been known for for nearly 60 years.

I have played close to a dozen gigs inside and outside and the Twilighter is amazing. All the amps are home runs. The Varsity, Super 15, Super 30, Super 59, Lyric, Twilighter, Stereo Twilighter, Single V all kill it. Starting a little over a grand and one up you can't find a line of amps top to bottom that can compete.

It was great to meet the folks from the Magnatone team. Theres a reason Neil Young, Billy Gibbons, and great artists like them have switched. Tonally it is heaven for guitar players. Check them out in a music store near you. You won't be disappointed.

Serenity

I've been wanting a stereo twilighter for over 6 months. Super 59 is seriously tempting too. Magnatone have come up with some killer amps!

Peppy

"In July I got to hear the 1 x 12" Varsity. Maybe the best sounding Vox style AC-15/30 type of amp to come along in a long time. I've owned a Winfield Cyclone for over a year. The Varsity just kicks the Winny's and it is a greta amp in its it own right."

Agreed...why I bought it!

"I have played close to a dozen gigs inside and outside and the Twilighter is amazing. All the amps are home runs."

Having played one of those outside gigs with you recently I can say both the Varsity and the Twilighter are as fine of amplifiers as any we've played over the decades.

mj07

Gold Supporting Member
They sounded great in the booth. They had a '59 opened up and the build looked impeccable. Really some ballsy amps.

tweedfix

I am actually in the middle of nowhere, the desert, but I do own and love a 1961 Magnatone 218 Troubador. It sounds good, too! I've been looking for a Vox style amp, like the Varsity...all of the new ones look real, real good.

blues54

To tweed fix……….the Super 15 and Super 30 is the Varsity circuit with the famous Magnatone Vibrato. The 15 is the same amp as the Varisty, the 30 is just 4 EL 84's

IM4Tone

this might be a ways but worth the drive to hear one. or take the plunge and buy one from a dealer that has a reasonable return policy.

Pennsylvania
Hanks Vintage Guitars
6080 Steubenville Pike, West Way Shoppes, Robinson Township
Pittsburgh, PA
412-788-1011
www.hanksvintageguitars.com
- See more at: http://www.magnatoneusa.com/support/dealers/#sthash.LRFowK8O.dpuf
Around 150 miles one way.
Thanks, I have been on the Magnatone website recently checking them out. I was hoping they'd have a head version.
At their cost, I wouldn't buy one without a thorough 'test drive'.

blues54

to Remocity "No" just an informed, research based, tone chaser who has had the blessed opportunity to own and play some of the best amps, boutique and otherwise. I also currently own a Louis Electric Tornado (killer Marshall sound), a Tone King Sky King (great blackface to tweed sound) and the 1x12" Twighlighter, and a Swart STR, and a few US Made Pro Jr.'s ………..lusting after the stereo Twiglighter after hearing it at the NAMM show last week.

schultzvil

In the Clean Channel
Gold Supporting Member
Man I'd have to agree with the OP. I spent two days at NAMM, and the Magnatones were about the highlight for me. I spent about 45 minutes playing the amps, with Jimmy Vivino. We both concluded the Stereo Twilighter was just a ridiculous amp- and he uses a normal Twilighter already "on the show". The Super V (?) was also amazing, 30 watts, but with 2 6L6s
and two Celestion Gold 12s. BIGGG sound.
Definitely cool people, definitely VERY well thought out and implemented amps- some of the coolest "boutique" vintage-style amps ever, IMHO.
Heard great great things about the Varsity as well, was so wrapped up with the Stereo Twilighter and Super V, never even got to it.
The bigger EL 34 and 4 X EL84 amps didn't do quite as much for either of us but that's a matter of taste. Great amp line, for sure. NEED ONE...
Also even the normal "Vibrato" as opposed to the killer Tremolo was great, and the 'verb as well.

DRS

I notice the Twilighter has a single stage vibrato but the Single V has a two stage vibrato. What is the difference?

Top Bottom