Magnatone Super 59

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Classic 59, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Classic 59

Classic 59 Member

Has anyone tried this amp? It has been out for a year or two however, I have not seen many videos on it. Thank you very much for your time.

I am also interested in knowing more about the build quality etc.

2. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I don't think any Super 59's have been sold yet....lol. Seriously, it's the Yeti of tube-amplification.

3. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Just wanted to bump this thread back up and see if anyone has played one yet.

Thanks,
    David

4. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

No dice on the 59. However I played a stereo Twilighter about a year ago and it was a beautiful sounding amp indeed. Heavy and seemingly put together well.

5. saltydogg

A few months ago, I was able to find both the Super 59 Head and 2x12 on the used market, so I pulled the trigger. I was going to do a "NAD Thread", but life caught up to me, and I simply lost the time, and motivation to post such a thread.

To be brief, it's a great sounding amp, and it's also very-well built.. IMO, the perfect cross between Marshall and Tweed platforms. To be honest, I haven't played it in about 6 weeks, as I've been sorting through my gear with the hope of downsizing, but it's a difficult process when you really love the gear that you currently own.

This probably comes as no surprise, but if you are into early ZZ Top tones (and who isn't? lol) then this is the amp. Clean, it sounds big and takes pedals well. Dial in some crunch, throw a Les Paul over your shoulder and you are 90% of the way to early Gibbon's tones. Of course the other 10% (and possibly more) is in Gibbon's style and fingers...

Again, I haven't played it in a while, but if you have any questions, I will try and answer them accurately.

Here's some pics.

[​IMG]

STEALTH MODE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NUTS AND BOLTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Great shots - thanks.. some neat wiring

What brand is the ECC83 in the end position? The non-JJ?

7. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Awesome man! Thanks! In regards to the amp at lower non-live stage volumes how does it sound?

Does it have that nice gritty filth at lower volumes?

8. saltydogg

@BelgPJ : That's a Amperex Bugle Boy in v1.

@McSoappy : I haven't tried running it at such low volumes. I'm sure you can get filthy-tones at lower volumes, though like any tube-amp, it will cost you some dimension and dynamics.

9. e???

e??? Member

They have one at Willie's in St. Paul, but I haven't tried it yet. They look amazing though. I have tried the Magnatone Twilighter, and it was probably one of the best amps I've ever heard. Ridiculous warmth and depth, really amazing sounding. I still think about it all the time, have been for months, so I think I'm gonna have to own one some day

crazyneddie likes this.
  10. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Anyone played one yet?

11. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Any updates from anyone?

12. saltydogg

I haven't seen many around, and I'm a bit surprised, because it really fills that Tweed+Marshall space.

13. sggibby

sggibby Member

Hi folks, any more inputs on that awesome amp? Thinking about getting one,but it's a lot of money.

14. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Like you I used this thread to try and make a decision. I went ahead and purchased the head and cab based on saltydogg's fantastic post. It's hard to describe how insane this amp is. Pure thick tone in all settings. The tube driven tremolo is outstanding and the vibrato is nice and swirly (I use it for a leslie effect on Stormy Monday). The drive is incredible. I actually stole Billy Gibbons' settings from a Premier Guitar right review and get "that sound" from it.

15. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

How's the vibrato? Does it sound much different than the harmonic trem on the brownface Fenders?

16. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I'd say it's similar but not the same.

17. saltydogg

Still got mine....still enjoy it.....nothing to add. :)

18. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I found a Magnatone Stereo Twilighter locally about three months ago and it has become my #1. I didn't realize the Super 59 had the vibrato and tremolo too. The MST is intoxicating and just sounds huge. It breaks up in a really pleasing way too, although quite loud with no masters. Gotta check that 59 out!

19. sggibby

sggibby Member

Thanks for the answer. Could you also tell me how the clean sounds like? And does it clean up well by rolling down the volume on the guitar?

20. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

The cleans are very vintage Marshall sounding. Don't expect Fender or Vox stuff out of this amp....however, it's got a great hairy clean sound to it. This amp seems to love P90's.