Magpie Salute - High Water I

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jota, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I've heard bits of it and dig it so far. John Hogg has a damn good voice IMHO. No complaints from me. This is the one disc I've actually been looking forward to this year.

pepedede likes this.
  2. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Thanks both of you.

pepedede and Bluesful like this.
  3. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

New CD arrived here and I really dug it on first listen. Gonna let it live in my car stereo for a while.

pepedede likes this.
  4. pepedede

pepedede Member

yeah. I am also looking forward to the new AIC, clutch, and rev. Billy G's new disc.

5. AA864

AA864 Member

I just saw TMS in Boulder last night, what a great show. I was dead center, riding the rail and could see all the interplay between Rich & Marc. John Hogg fits perfectly IMO. Rich and Marc each sing a few songs, but John is a better singer than both for me. They did a killer version of '8 Miles High' by the Byrds and 'You don't have to Cry' by CSN.

TGP related - John Hogg played an Eastman OM and Marc played an Eastman 12 string dread.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  6. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I know there had to have been more guitars than that.............

7. Serenity

Serenity Member

Fantastic album by a great band, and they're even better live.

8. AA864

AA864 Member

oh hell yeah, lots of guitars, the usual suspects of course.

Nebakanezer likes this.
  9. MGT

MGT Member

Hoping I can get to Fredericton to see them on September 12th....have been a MF and Black Crowes fan for a long time. Saw Chris Robinson & Neil (sic) Casal at the same festival a couple of years ago.

10. MoBigBro

MoBigBro Supporting Member

I caught them last night in Park City: As an opening act for Gov't Mule.
    Best "Warm-Up Band" ever! Very professional and full of Feeling. I agree: John Hogg is a good fit. When Rich, Marc, John and Sven Pipien all harmonized on vocals, it really did bring back the Byrds and CSN!
    Photos didn't turn out because the Sun/Shade of the outdoor venue cut off their heads.

BTW: It got Cold! It was a pleasant change, but......
    Winter is Coming
    Cheers,
    Mobigbro

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    AA864 likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I tried to listen but the Spotify link was buffering a lot. My impression was that it's good solid basic rock music along the lines of The Small Faces and, of course, The Black Crows. If you like those bands you will probably feel comfortable listening to Magpie Salute.....OTOH nothing new here......

12. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

How can one not be a fan of MFF? He’s one of the best blues/rock players to come down the pike since Mick Taylor.
    :aok

JumpinBradFlash, MGT, AA864 and 2 others like this.
  13. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

It would be nearly impossible for a group of musicians who wear their influences on their sleeves to not sound like something familiar. I saw them on their first tour and they were, basically, a terrific cover band. What I hear, more and more, when I listen to the new album, is how much they're investing in this truly being a band (vs. Rich Robinson and band or Black Crowes II).

MoBigBro likes this.
  14. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

I doubt anybody is looking for something new when putting on a Crowes related project, and that’s ok. Lots of interesting music has come from the collaboration of the purveyors of the style.

Almost as good as the guy on the other side of the stage.:cool:

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

One of those "if you like THAT you'll probably like THIS" situations.....

16. PdL

For my $ Marc is a much better lead player than Rich. But MFF isn’t even in the same league as Rich when it comes to songwriting. Not even close. And in the grand scheme of things w/o having great tunes to play it doesn’t matter how many terrific musicians are in your band. Sh*tty songs played by great musicians are still sh*tty songs. (Sorry Toto.)

As far as singing goes, both Marc’s & Rich’s lead vocals are pretty cringe-inducing. Certainly better than anything I could do though! :rotflmao It was definitely a smart move including John Hogg in TMS to handle (just about all) the lead vocals.

17. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Agreed. Love Marc too, he just always gets mentioned and has a badass nickname.

Yeah, neither cuts it as a lead singer for more than a song or two per live show or album.

18. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Great album and I cant wait for PtII. I was initially quite surprised (and admittedly a touch disappointed) in how concise the songs are and the lack of extended solo's. I bet some of these songs will sound even more amazing once they evolve during their live shows.

Really enjoy the slide guitar and pedal steel too.

19. evildik

evildik Member

Caught these guys in Kent last night. Good song selection and performances all around. The mix was a tiny bit off, but better than a lot of live shows I’ve seen recently. I think the neighbor who went with me is a fan now. He went into it without much knowledge of their music, but I suspected it would be right up his alley and dragged him along.

20. PdL

Resistance is futile! :banana

evildik and JumpinBradFlash like this.