Maiden Fans...Give it up for the Paul Di'Anno Era!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Mondo Bizarro, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Mondo Bizarro

Mondo Bizarro Member

As amazing as Bruce is, it's those first 2 Maiden studio albums (+ Maiden Japan EP) that grabbed me as a kid and hold a special place in my metal heart. To this day, I feel like I'm in an alternate universe when I listen and watch the old footage. They may not have ever been the band they were destined to become, but IMO, Paul Di'Anno was exactly what they needed to plant the seed.

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Some of their best songs were co-written with Di'Anno:

3. Mondo Bizarro

Mondo Bizarro Member

Can't forget this either I guess, but I didn't hear it until much later as it was very limited and nowhere to be found for a kid like me....

4. glockaxis

glockaxis Supporting Member

I love both Paul and Bruce with what they brought to the band. The band had a punkish edge with Paul that was a lot more raw.

CJReaper, WornFrets, massacre and 2 others like this.
  5. takmagic

takmagic Member

Used to listen to the Maiden Japan record all the time when it came out...will need to give it a spin tonight!

"You walk through the subway, his eyes burn a hole in your back"

6. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I used to tune my guitar to Maiden Japan. I forget the song but Dave or Adrian hit a few muted chords before starting off.
    Rush’s All The Worlds a Stage also had a tuning moment for me.

cg, chumbucket and Mondo Bizarro like this.
  7. Omega

Omega Member

8. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

TBH I'm really only interested in the first 4 albums anymore, they lost me after PowerSlave & although PS was great, I liked Piece of Mind better.
    From a bass-player's perspective, Wrathchild might be their best song:

MGT, Brooks, ant_riv and 3 others like this.
  9. MrX

MrX Member

I love the Di'Anno era!

pak1001, Brooks, cg and 3 others like this.
  10. 83stratman

83stratman Member

My 15 yo son and I just listened to my old Made in Japan record two weeks ago. Loved it! I am ultimately a Bruce era fan because of the slight prog feel of the writing at that point, but Killers is one of my fav Maiden records anyway. But what do I know? I loved Seventh Son right from the get go when most didn't!

Mondo Bizarro likes this.
  11. pepedede

pepedede Member

Seventh son was and is still my favourite maiden album, I was 12 and a young metal head thanks to my brother, love the use of keys/synths.

12. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

I guess that is what put me off of Maiden, the keyboards.
    However, somehow I accepted it with Black Sabbath.

chumbucket and art_z like this.
  13. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I'd like to join in, but I'm in the middle of binging on all the reunion albums with Bruce right now...

I dig the first two albums, but Maiden went from great to exceptional when Bruce joined the band.

14. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Remember Tomorrow and Charlotte The Harlot are two of the best songs Maiden has ever come up with.

chumbucket and Mondo Bizarro like this.
  15. Emigre

Emigre Member

Love the Di Anno albums and Prowler is one of my favourite rock and roll songs.

But, I'm a child of the Powerslave era. When the intro riff to Aces High hit me for the first time, I was a man reborn :)

16. FPFL

FPFL Member

I love it all when its Maiden of any era!

For me it's the albums with Adrian Smith that are the reliable best efforts. Killers took what was great about the first album and kicked it up a notch IMO. Does anything have more energy than Killers? I'd say no.

The enormity of Live After Death is unimaginable without all that Adrian adds, to say nothing of the later stuff where he penned crucial parts of their biggest hits.

Adrian adds something special to the mix writing and singing backup vocals for either of the big names at the mic... Both so different and so great.

Of course I also love his angular, bluesy contrast to Murray's more liquid legato style.

Paul D's health really seems to be failing. He can barely perform any more. I wish him only comfort and thank him for all that he did for Maiden and us!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  17. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

This is the pinnacle of that era for me. Love the opening riff and the song just drives

18. FPFL

FPFL Member

Phantom is definitely a special song!

Though I think this video is not the best version. It's too fast and it doesn't get to breathe when it should. It's that contrast, between hurried and relaxed that gives it some of its magic. They were possibly rushed for time on TV.

art_z likes this.
  19. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

I was a massive fan of the first two albums back in the day but their studio albums with Bruce singing did nothing for me(though I saw them 2 nights running at their Sydney run on the Number Of The Beast tour and they were cracking shows)

I recently bought Killers on CD and it was probably the first time I'd heard it in decades. TBH it left me abit flat. The guitar sound seemed really restrained and the bass to prominent for my ears these days. Didn't strike me as heavy at all.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    art_z likes this.
  20. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member