Maiden Kemper Gig Last night

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by sugarlou, Mar 23, 2015.

1. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Used my Kemper live for the first time last night!

It sounded pretty good

At one point everything goes silent and I freak out only to figure out my singer

has stepped on my expression pedal for volume and muted the output !

Other than that flawless. Just have a bit of volume balancing to do between

cleans and overdriven tones. Trying to post a pic of the rig but photo bucket has been less than working lately.

Anyway Im optimistic

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

glad you enjoyed it sugarlou, the Kemper is the most fun I've had (at reasonable volumes) and the FOH sounds better than anything else I've ever used, every weekend I'm giddy with the results I get from using the Kemper

FYI- I just run my volume at 0.0 for all of my patches, we use IEM's on my gig, I run it through a 1x12 cab with a V30, master volume is set at -15 (in output section) but it's usually on 9 or 10 at the gig (the dial)

3. sugarlou

Naturally I'm finding I need to crank up the levels of the clean tones to match my overdrive. I might be better off dropping the levels of the overdrives but at the gig it was easier to crank the clean and press store.

Great overall tone and covers a wide range.

4. db9091

db9091 Member

HAHA, that was funny! Gotta watch out for them singers, lol.

I recently almost had a heart attack when I plugged in and heard silence. I'm thinking the worst of everything. "is it dead, sniff sniff. where is my sound". I don't buy the cheapest leads but apparently my tweed fender custom shop lead has a broken connection. Wont be buying Fender chords no more.

Glad to hear you were psyched!

5. sugarlou

NOTHING worse than the dreaded silence mid song at a live performance!

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, step on the tuner IA on my board every so often... happens moreso first song in a set when I've tuned up but not disengaged the tuner... and a couple sets in I'm a little "tuned up" myself LOL.

:bonk

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

so iron maiden is not using the kemper?
    ;)

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Wow! I've done that! Nothing gets me more upset then thinking my rig has died. When I relize it's the tuner, I get pissed at myself really fast.

9. sugarlou

Yes atomic CLR out of the main out.. Evm Bogner cab (closed back deep cab w ports) out of the monitor send of the KPA. The CLR has a through xlr that I send to the PA. This method seems to work the best for me. Kind of gives me back the amp in the room feel.
    I'll try n post another pic. Im having issues with photobucket

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  10. stratotone

stratotone Silver Supporting Member

Had a bass player step on the standby switch on my Bogner XTC during a gig. not a great feeling!

11. sugarlou

12. sugarlou

No I have an unpowered toaster...so the monitor out goes to a power amp then to the cab. I actually borrowed a buddies Crate Powerblock and went into the effects return. Plenty loud bridged to mono. I am searching for an aftermarket amp to fit the Kemper but Im kind of waiting for a US supplier/ manufacturer.

13. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

So....about Maiden.....did you play some Iron Maiden covers? I'm partial to Stranger in a Strange Land myself.

14. sugarlou

LOL no ..no Maiden ..but to me there is only one Iron Maiden and that was with Paul Di'Anno

The first one and KILLERS..You can have that other guy.

15. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Ohhhhhhhh...I get it now....it was like your first, MAIDEN, gig WITH the Kemper.

I never even heard the Killers album until AFTER I had already heard Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and 7th Son. By that time, Paul DiAnno sounded out of place to me because I heard "the other Maiden". That's cool you like him better. :)

16. sugarlou

I SAW Maiden with Di'Anno...thats how old i am...So to me he was the real Iron Maiden.. Much more raw and almost punkish attitude. This was when "Eddy " was like a roadie running around with a rubber mask on!

Don't get me wrong Bruce is no slouch either. Technically a better vocalist .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  17. sugarlou

Next gig I'd like to get the whole "stack" off the floor a bit. The bottom cab is too low. I have an amp stand but it leans back and that won't work in this case. I had to really crank the levels to keep up with the band and the noise level in the room was crazy. It was packed.I was concerned about damaging speakers but the EV is rated at 200 watts and the CLR I believe will shut down if it gets to speaker damage level. I'm always a bit paranoid about pushing things too far at a gig and then being "rig less"

Ill try to get a clip going of the combination guitar cab/ CLR. Its pretty cool because the KPA will allow you to tailor the out put level of each cab separately . That way when you turn the master volume up or down the balance doesn't change. Its fairly easy / quick to set up but a built in power amp for the KPA would cut out some gear/ set up time. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a powered KPA.

The guys in the band were like "what the hell is that thing?" " Can you reach Tokyo on that "?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  18. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

The physics of having that unit atop those cabs is not so hot. It could tumble off way too easily.

19. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

I know you state that you are waiting for a Us supplier, but the Ambrosi amp works very well, & once the deal was done, the amp was shipped on Tues, & I received it on Sat of the same week, heck I have waited longer for shipping here in the states before...

20. sugarlou

Hey Classic i hear ya on the physics of stacking the head that way... I went to home Depot bought some rubber self adhesive feet AND I ran a bungee cord through the handle of the CLR and pinned the KPA down using the two pins the handle connects to.