main diffs from 490/498s to BB 1/3s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tedm, Mar 24, 2006.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I've got a set of Burstbucker 1/3s bought from a fellow member, and they've been sitting for a month or so. I'm actually pretty happy with the tones from my stock 490/498 pickups.

What kinds of tonal changes can I expect by dropping these in my LP special? subtle, huge? gain changes?

Thanks!

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Better authentic growl. Not as harsh.

3. tedm

I read the H/C stuff, not much useful info. there.

I think I want better authentic growl, but I don't consider my current stock ones harsh, especially the neck when played on clean amp settings. do you mean the BB's break up less or are cleaner than the 490/498s?

4. tedm

I play with all the knobs up all the time, so vol, and tones are always on full CW.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They're not really harsh as much as the BBs are smooth. To me, the 490/498s have a more modern voicing, while the BBs have more of that classic Les Paul tone that you'd hear 30 years ago.

6. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I think both sets are too high output for my tastes, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with BB 1&3. I really do think the 490R/498T set is too hot and harsh. I had them in a LP Standard for years, but later put in a Duncan JB (another hot pickup) and a '59 and it was night and day. To me, the 490/498 only sounded acceptable with high gain.

I have the BBs in my Oxblood right now and they are OK, but I'd like something with less output. Definitely a smoother than the 490/498. Not horrible pickups though.

7. tedm

Thanks Phil and GCDEF, I think I'll just give it a try the next time the soldering iron is warmed up, either that, or find some LP's around with I's and III's instead of the newer V's.

8. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Well, the BBs aren't wax-potted so you can expect squeal at highish gain...

BTW, not all 490r/498t sets are the same, as is true with ALL Gibson pups, they vary a lot! :jo

I've had 490r/498t sets that were nasally, thin and scooped and other sets that were thick in the mids and sounded HUGE!

If you've got a good set, which is kinda rare, I wouldn't be surprised if you went back to them.

That's what I did when I tried a BB Pro set in my LP Custom ;)

The original 490r/498t set blew away ALL contenders, which included:

1. SD PGn/JB

2. SD 59/Custom

3. Dimarzio PAF Pro set

4. Burstbucker Pros

What a waste of time that experiment was!

Of course it did cause me to upgrade the pots & caps, but this original Gibson pup set is magical! :p

9. tedm

I just played my LP and I like the 490/498 a lot. The 498 does have a little harshness nasal tone to it, but I can't imagine that guitar without that special bite it gives, and then when selecting the neck, it's a tad boomier than I'd like at times, and less cut through, but I use it for jazz and sometimes fusion.

I think I have a "good" set of 490s. Let me know if anyone wants to hear clips of the pickups, I can make mp3s through a tweed deluxe set on "2" to sm57.

10. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

And where/how would the Classic 57 series fall into this mix?!?