Main OD for alt country / roots rock/ midwest country rck

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
Going to try a few of them out again tomorrow afternoon with my rig and maybe record and listen to playback. One problem is I'd like to keep my board small (use a PT mini), so I really only have room for 5 pedals, (TU2-> OD->Swamp Thang Trem-> Boss DM2w -> SHO)

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I had some suggestions for ODs for North Eastern Alternative Country Roots Rock but I'm plum out of suggestions for Mid Western Alternative Country Roots Rock.

Why isn't a boutique maker serving this important market anyhow?

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
I had some suggestions for ODs for North Eastern Alternative Country Roots Rock but I'm plum out of suggestions for Mid Western Alternative Country Roots Rock.

Why isn't a boutique maker serving this important market anyhow?

Just trying to describe the musical style, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Sun Creature

Out of that selection, the Hotcake by a country mile.;)

Personally, I would do a Catalinbread FN5 and stack it with a Fulldrive.

bluesbreaker59

Gold Supporting Member
Drug them all out last night, there was a few clear winners... Hotcake, Gain Changer and Fulldrive.

The main reasons for these pics or the volume knob interaction from the guitar. The hot cake and the gain changer were the best at this interaction, imho. The worst at this was the Fulldrive in vintage mode, however the overdriven sound with the phone drive may have been the best of the bunch. Every time I think of getting rid of that Fulldrive, I come back to it and I am blown away by its versatility and great overdriven tone.

The Crowther hotcake was the overall winner in my humble opinion. There is something magical about a hot cake and a telecaster bridge pickup. It also interacted well with my Boss DM2w and stacked like a champ with my super hard on. The best part was the volume control rolloff, which instantly cleaned up the tone.

The clarity and versatility of the Barber Gain changer, make this one a keeper and very hard to take off the board. I'm still not enamored with its higher gain tones

I was disappointed in the honeybee and the fulltone 69. The 69 left behind too many fuzzy artifacts, which I expected from previous use. The honeybee I found very compressed and not to my liking.

e-flat

Drug them all out last night, there was a few clear winners... Hotcake, Gain Changer and Fulldrive.

The main reasons for these pics or the volume knob interaction from the guitar. The hot cake and the gain changer were the best at this interaction, imho. The worst at this was the Fulldrive in vintage mode, however the overdriven sound with the phone drive may have been the best of the bunch. Every time I think of getting rid of that Fulldrive, I come back to it and I am blown away by its versatility and great overdriven tone.

The Crowther hotcake was the overall winner in my humble opinion. There is something magical about a hot cake and a telecaster bridge pickup. It also interacted well with my Boss DM2w and stacked like a champ with my super hard on. The best part was the volume control rolloff, which instantly cleaned up the tone.

The clarity and versatility of the Barber Gain changer, make this one a keeper and very hard to take off the board. I'm still not enamored with its higher gain tones

I was disappointed in the honeybee and the fulltone 69. The 69 left behind too many fuzzy artifacts, which I expected from previous use. The honeybee I found very compressed and not to my liking.
The Hotcake is a terrific drive. I've owned 5 of them , of different years and types, and they've all been consistently great with minor variations.

Congrats !

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
One of my favorite styles/genres and, for me, no real clear-cut OD sound jumps out...although I will say "Fulldrive II" was my first thought (perhaps just because I so closely associate it with Gary Louris and the Jayhawks).

Boss BD-2 would be good too - was Ryan Adams' go-to drive some years ago.

I don't think this is one where you're trying to nail a really specific tone and, perhaps, amp/guitar are the bigger factors for this one.

chillybilly

Fulldrive 2 Mosfet? Probably not. I ditched mine quickly when I started playing the style of music you describe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom