maintaining an old echoplex motor

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by brad347, Aug 9, 2006.

1. brad347

brad347 Member

My tube echoplex (EP-2) is awesome, but occcasionally the motor is a little sluggish on start-up. Sometimes turning it off and back on will get the motor running, sometimes I have to give it a gentle nudge with the hand to get it going.

Is there anything I can do to keep it spinning for years to come? Is a drop or two of machine oil out of the question?

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I had one of those in the '70s (bought it used). When the mechanical parts died, I just trashed it, never thinking that replacement parts would be available.

A while back, I noticed that ALL parts were available. Would you consider replacing the motor or at least buying a backup for when the original finally dies?

3. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Gold Supporting Member

I agree with Mike. If you really like the Echoplex, buy a motor while you can. Oil (not recommended) will give a temporary fix, but it will continue to get worse. The bearings in the motor will be gummed up with a mixture of old oil and dust and are probably rather worn. I've had some success with old tape machine and turntable motors by dismantling the motor, removing the bearings (or bronze bushes), cleaning them and soaking them in oil. But often, removing the muck shows up the wear and the motor speed becomes erratic.

Peter.
    ClinchFX

4. brad347

brad347 Member

new motor it is, just to have for safe keeping. Where can you get these? Mike Battle? Where else?

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I can't remember where I saw them. I'd use Google:)

6. brad347

brad347 Member

7. brad347

brad347 Member

hmm, i'm having an easy time finding the motors for the solid-state echoplexes, but not the tube ones. The search continues!!

8. doctorx

doctorx Member