1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Major cheapness - Epiphone Triggerman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dougb415, Mar 7, 2006.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I picked up one of these combo units this weekend for $225. I am very very pleasantly surprised. First off, it looks GREAT - when I brought it in the house my wife said, "Wow, that thing is beautiful." Red tolex? Not sure, but it looks more like leather.

60 watts, SS, 1 12" speaker. The reverb is okay, not spring. The FX section is pretty useless. No big loss there. Two channels, clean and lead. Okay, it's no Fender BF, but for this kind of money it sounds darn good! Has an FX loop, plus XLR DI out.

I haven't tried it with any pedals yet as I've just wanted to see how it sounds by itself. So far I have no complaints. Last night I dialed in just a little dirt, plugged in my Tele, hit the bridge pup - rock 'n roll heaven, baby!

I'm curious to see if anybody else here has even bothered to try one of these suckers out.

wildschwein likes this.
  2. dougb415

dougb415 Member

*laughter* 36 views later and not one response. It's okay guys, I don't think you'll lose your coolness license or anything if you admit to having tried (or even just looked at) one of these beauties.

factotum likes this.
  3. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I admit

I have looked at :(

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

You are indeed brave. We salute you!

5. brewhound

brewhound Member

What kind of speaker is in it?

The 4X12 cab looks really cool in that red tolex, and it's only $225 too.

6. inscho

inscho Senior Member

yeah thats what I was looking at, that cab looks real badass

7. skrzyp

skrzyp Supporting Member

The guitarist in my son's band has one. He also finds the onboard effects pretty useless but is happy with the amp. I mistakenly thought it was one of the valve-series, but it seems to be solid-state. Sounds pretty good.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Never seen one but if it's cheaper than the "chosen" OD pedal how can it be good?:Devil

(besides I recently did a gig with a $150. SS amp, so there! -used$ and I did have good speakers):angel

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

LOL! You nailed us with this comment! :D

Actually, truth be know, I've not played or seen one of these amps but based on your review, I will try to find one to do so.

10. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I don't know. All I know is, it sounds pretty darn good. Not saying great, but pretty darn good. The clean channel beats the lead channel, but the distortion is usable if you keep the gain down low (around 9 o' clock). It seems to favor single-coils over HBs. The Tele sounds killer thru it.

Tonight it's time to try it with some pedals. Yes, my Bud-Wah and Hellbaby together cost more than this amp... but even adding those pedals makes the total cost only $500! :AOK

11. dougb415

dougb415 Member

I don't think that Epi posts any specs on the speaker, and it's not really an open back. There is a grill over the back.

When I first saw this line in the catalogs it looked cheapo... but then when I saw one "in person" my opinion changed quickly. That red tolex really looks sharp.

12. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Does he use any pedals with it? Tele -> Bud-Wah -> Triggerman makes for some funky funky Sly Stone tone :JAM

13. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

yeah it does look pretty damn boutiguey

14. dougb415

dougb415 Member

11 years later and I can barely remember that amp. I'm guessing that Epi sold it for one year and then dumped it. After that it was the SuperSonic, then the Mustang III, then the DSL40C, and now I use the Goodsell Model 1958 and a Fender Tweed Deluxe reissue in stereo. Now that is some glorious tone right there.

Bud-Wah is also gone, and what the heck is a Hellbaby?

15. imawake

imawake Member

Hi Doug,

Did you ever find out more info on the 4x12 cabinet/what speakers? Thanks for following this up 11 years later!