Major props (and shout out) to Gibson

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Atmospheric, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I own a Phil Leadbetter sig dobro. I am the second owner. The original owner had to replace the original (nickel) tailpiece and he did so with a chrome replacement part. I wanted to obtain an original replacement nickel tailpiece.

I started by emailing the Vintage Restoration folks at Gibson. The rep, Danny Roberts, replied that Gibson didn't sell the part separately and steered me to StewMac. I did some checking at StewMac and Paul Beard's site and could not find a suitable quality nickel replacement tailpiece.

I relayed this info to Danny and enquired about sending my dobro in to have the tailpiece replaced (stupid expensive I know, but that's where I started). I ended by saying, "I know it's a small thing, but I would hope Gibson would be supportive of my desire to play a genuine Gibson instrument in stock condition."

So Danny emails me today and tells me that Gibson is sending me a replacement tailpiece gratis. Very cool and much appreciated.

Thanks guys (and Danny in particular)!

2. Luke

Luke Senior Member

If it were a Hamer guitar, Kim would have sent you a part without the runaround. Just sayin.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, i have the feeling danny fought an uphill battle for you there.

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

It's a happy ending and Gibson took care of you. That's a good thing in my book. :AOK

5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

being one of the more critical people on this planet, especially with regards to poor customer service.

That said, one of my "rules to live by" is to "not make best the enemy of better."

Danny and Gibson did me right.

Bagging on someone for doing good says more about the bagger than the baggee.

IMHO
    YMMV

6. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I own one of the early NAMM show 54 Oxbloods. When I had an issue with one of the prototype pickups in the guitar, they sent me another one for free, complete with the custom shop sticker on the exposed bobbins. That was back in 1998 or so, but it was great customer service.

This is against what you typically hear, but my Gibson experience was much better than my experience with PRS customer service.

7. go7

go7 Member

All`s well that ends well.