MAJOR score at work today: Cubicle walls!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by RockStarNick, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

So today, I finally got the go-ahead from the facilities manager, that I could take home all their old cubicle walls that they were *considering* saving, but decided not to.

I can't wait to use the panels to do some sound insulation in my basement studio! (I use the term "studio" very loosely...)

I've got about (10) 3'x6' Cloth Acoustical panels, (10) 3'x5', and just about (10) 3x4' panels. Not to mention dozens and dozens of 1' width panels that are either 4, 5, or 6 feet in length.

It's definitely going to help. Heck, anything's better than exposed beam ceilings and cinderblock walls...

:banana

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I tried that. It was hard to keep stable because I didn't have all the right "feet" or connectors, just kinda pieced together a bunch of panels. Now they sit outside my basement, under the deck. According to my wife, that's only slightly better than having them in the basement. ;)

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Keep one or two aside to use as dividers and shields while tracking. Try putting a room mic on the other side of one from your source. They're very useful that way.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That's a good idea. I'll have to try that with my panels.

5. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Well, I just finshed 2 walls this weekend, and I gotta say, definite inprovement so far.

See, each cubical "wall" is comprised of a metal frame, and then panels on either side. I took home only the panels, which are about 1/2" thick fiberglass material covered in cloth... very easy to hang on the walls.

So far, the room sounds alot less lively, in a good way.

6. straticus

straticus Member

That's a great idea.

Don't mean to be a downer but I would think there would be a lot of these Cubical walls around for sale right now. I'm going to search for some myself.

7. cram

cram Member

if by "sound insulation" you mean acoustic treatment, then yes, you'd be manipulating the wave patterns of sound in your room at the mid/high frequency ranges.

If you mean sound Isolation, you're wasting your time. Play some bass or hell even a guitar riff at moderate volume. Test with a sound meter or your own ears outside the room. Do one test with and without these things set up inside your room and you'll only notice a slight muffle of mid to higher frequencies from this listenning point.

The proper DIY method for dampening acousitcal treatments are Owens Corning 703 or equivalent. It is thicker and performs at the lower range of frequencies. These are just dampening panels, I'm working on bass traps stacked in the corner these days, but here you go -
    [​IMG]
    Make a frame around them for strength -
    [​IMG]

Hang them on your wall - AWAY from your wall ~2-4'':
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008