Major tubes score!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by anais, Dec 26, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

Walked into an old radio shop tonite to track down a part to try and fix my amp.. Asked if he had any old tubes around.. Pulled out a bunch of telefunkens and RCA 12ax7 tubes.. Tested them on his big old tube tester.. All brand new. When I took them back to the counter I asked him

"how much?"

"$25 plus tax"

I pulled out my money and started counting then asked if there was an ATM around.. He laughed at me and said "that's the total."

I almost crapper my pants.

Going home to try these out in the Type 3 now... Can't wait!!!

Got enough to last a few years here.. Stupid good deal!

2. just ken

just ken Member

I'll do you a favor and give you $25 a piece for them.:rimshot

3. anais

anais Member

I'll sell you his email address for a hundred.. Says he gets them in all the time! Haha

4. just ken

just ken Member

That's funny--:aok

We're all green with envy.

5. anais

anais Member

I was kind of upset because he had a ge that was dead.. Maybe next week he will have some of those?

6. anais

anais Member

Oh.. my lips to fellow players in my circle are always sealed.

I was already sitting on a good selection of RCA, Sylvania, and EI's.. I have a few Mullards, Amperex, Phillips, and GE's.. had one telefunken I have been seitting on.. Added some VERY NICE RCA meatball logos and a bunch of Teles tonite.. My girlfriend was with me.. she insisted on going to Best Buy for her since I spent an hour testing tubes- well worth it.

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Is he an older guy that's not familiar with ebay?

8. anais

anais Member

He is a computer and tv/radio repair guy with a shop full of junk that has probably been sitting there for a LONG time. He told me to email him If there were specific tubes I was looking for and he might have them at home- He said email was better than calling.. I am sure he is WELL aware of ebay.

For the record- he was selling blank cassette and VHS tapes for more than he sold these tubes per piece to me for. Just tried them in the Bandmaster (the Type 3 is in the roadcase- didnt feel like breaking it out).. all working GREAT..:phones

9. Bstring

Bstring Member

Great score!! We are all really proud of you. Really. Let us know how they all work out for you. Keep us I formed.

10. gtTelejoe

gtTelejoe Member

Very cool thing to happen! What a great surprise that must have been.

11. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

Nice going! When I think of all the NOS tube opportunities I've missed over the years..
    Rick360

12. CaptainJake

CaptainJake Member

Niiice. I scored a telefunken from an old beat up amp and it was one of the best 12ax7s I've ever heard... and then it went microphonic on me. Drat.

13. Marble

Marble Member

Awesome dude, I keep putting little posts every now and then that old radio/tv repair shops are the place to find good ANOS or NOS tubes. I did the same thing and checked out a repair shop with my buddy, at a place a couple towns over.

I got a bunch of good stuff, orange globe amperex 12ax7, 4 mullard 12at7s, 2 Sylvania 6L6 GA's (pretty much a 5881) some other good stuff like random USA 12ax7s, all for 5 bucks each. My friend got a NIB RCA 12ax7- $6 bucks, NIB GE 5u4- $9 plus a couple of Mullard 12at7s. Everything tested at 100+ on both plates.

I was tentative about making a full blown post about getting great deals at radio shops, so as to not let the cat entirely out of the bag, but some people will still always pay the rediculous prices of online dealers! Usually these radio/tv people do know about the inflated cost of even used tubes on the net and they just refuse to deal online, letting creative people like us discover their treasure troves. Nothing like a good tube hunt!

14. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Nice score.

I remember in the early 1990's, you could go to the local indoor flea market in NJ and buy RTF, Ei and other NOS tubes for $7-$9 a piece. Those days are long gone :rotflmao