Make a strat a tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by hilpert, Feb 22, 2009.

1. hilpert

hilpert Member

As the title says, can i make a "tele" out of my tokai strat by changing pickups, or would it just be a waste of money? Inspired by Lee Ranaldo's jazzblasters i'm thinking of two wide range pickups. A stratblaster. Anyone with experience?

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

you can ad telecaster pickups to a strat body ( it would require a specially cut pickguard for mounting the bridge pickup). And/or you can get a switch installed to activate the neck and bridge pickups at the same time (i have this done on my strat, i love it, use it all the time. can also be wired to have all 3 pickups at the same time)

3. zsno

zsno Member

You can put the pickups in, but it won't get you the full tele sound, as the guitars are different themselves. The bridges on a tele or strat play a huge part in their sound and feel.

4. hilpert

hilpert Member

I realize I won't get a tele, but will it sound good or are the strat body and the tele pickups too different to work well together? I don't think I've ever seen the combo, but I imagine it could work out well.

5. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

it depends what is it specifically about the tele you want. i think a strat body with tele pickups will sound more like a tele than not. But bridge type, body routing, etc, will affect the tone in small ways. like i said, i have a strat (w/ strat p-ups) but when its in neck/bridge mode, it sounds way more like a tele than a strat.

6. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

ps, ive been considering putting wide range p-ups in a strat too, i think itd be killer

7. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

2 p-90's would be great.
    If you want a Tele sound you need a Tele bridge with a real Tele pup in it !

JJ

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I think a cool strat idea would be an ash bodied hatdtail strat with a Callaham or Glendale tele bridge with compensated saddles, a trad style Tele bridge pup, a strat single coil middle and neck pup, and a maple neck. Then have a switch that gives you the typical strat 5 positions plus a neck/brdige in paralllel and series. Comfort of a strat with a choice of tone.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

You could try the rio grande stelly bridge pickup. Lots of folks think it gets close to the Tele tone.

10. monstermike

monstermike Member

You're actually talking about the Fender Wide Range humbuckers, right? I never think of those guitars as particularly sounding like Telecasters, but you might get something cool out of them in a Strat.

The reissue pickups, however, are very different from the originals (different magnet material as the original magnets would now be too expensive to mass-produce), and I don't think anyone's making accurate clones. The modern versions are much more generic-humbucker sounding to me.

11. cameron

cameron Member

A Strat neck pickup and a Tele neck pickup aren't that different.

But the neck pickup sound isn't what makes a Tele distinctive. The bridge pickup sound is what people think when they think "Tele". And for that, you need that steel plate of the Tele bridge around the pickup.

12. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I put a Rio Grande "Stele" in a friends Strat and it sounds very spanky.