Make guitar pickup sound brighter Or change pickup to what?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rcboals, Aug 20, 2008.

1. rcboals

rcboals Supporting Member

I have a couple Gibson 57 PAF reisues in my thin body gretsh g3161. I would like more twang and brightness from the bridge pickup the neck sounds fine but the bridge sounds dark and not as trebley, bright, and biting as I would like. I love the look of this axe with cats eyes f holes because of my rockabilly act. Would this work? I found this on another web site for making pups sound brighter. Or what pickup would definately brighten this thang up?
    " I know this is going to sound completely stupid, because I didn’t believe it until I tried it myself. The easiest thing to do is go to a craft store and get a roll of ZIP-GRIP Flexible Magnets. This is a vinyl magnet that comes on a roll, almost like tape. The magnet is about .5” in width and .125” thick. The roll has an adhesive backing so that you can cut, peal and stick it to a surface. I cut two strips of the Zip-Grip magnet and stick them side-by-side to back of my pickups. The added magnetic strip brightens the sound up and makes them sound less flat. I have had great success with this silly sounding mod. Because the magnet is so thin, it is easy to stack a couple layers to adjust tone. It sure is easier than changing out caps. I later read in a Luther magazine that Rickenbacker had instructed its repair techs to use this method to adjust the tone of their customer’s guitars."

What do you think guys and gals?

2. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

You need to talk with TV Jones about his pickups.

3. rcboals

Ok, I ordered two TV Jones pups. Talked to Tom Jones and just did what he recommended, real nice helpful people. Still wondering, has anyone ever heard of sticking magnets strips on the bottom of your pups like the guy said in my post?

4. PRSOPHILE

PRSOPHILE Member

Before you go swappin' pups, try lowering the pup. May save you some $$$'s and time breathing solder vapor!

5. rcboals

I did lower raise adjust height no satisfaction. The guitar was dark sounding with the stock gretsch buckers as well. I then tried some GFS dream 90's cheap low buck pickups. Then the 57 reissues that our drummer had on hand. If the TV Jones don't work out the guitar is not just historic series but will also become history in my stable rockabilly cool cats eyes and all. It doesn't have the twang and brightness and bite on the bridge pickup that my Jumbo Guild X500 has, so I'm hoping that the tv jones will cure it. I like everything else about the guitar.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  6. 909one

909one Member

Yeah, without a doubt you should invest in a set of TV Jones. You already have a Gretsch, and it has Gibson humbuckers, which is denying the guitar its true potential for actually sounding like how a Gretsch should sound IMO. Filtertrons are humbuckers too, but much different sounding than all other humbuckers I have ever tried. I can't stand most humbuckers, but I love Filtertrons. They are bright and twangy, alomst like a Tele. They have a much lower output and almost a scooped midrange, which really lets the highs come out on the pickups.
    I have a '67 Gretsch Double Anniversary, which has Hilotrons. They sound kinda cool but I broke down and ordered some TV Jones Filtertrons because it didn't sound right to me. The TV jones should be arriving next week.

7. 909one

909one Member

Also, another option is putting a high pass filter on your guitar. Look at the schematics on G&L guitars website, and you can see how its done. I think the Legacy Special has a high pass filter. Its really easy to convert a tone or volume control to a high pass filter. I have done it to multiple guitars and it really helps to clean out the mud on neck pickups.

8. rcboals

The stock pups were some kind of import humbucker, had the gretsch name on them and looked cool but they were just a run of the mill cheap import type humbucker. Probably should of just put in TV Jones from the get go. That would have been the easy way, but not the rockabilly player way. I'll post how the TV Jones turn out.

9. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of the Magnet trick. Very interesting.

10. uOpt

uOpt Member

Interesting theory but I can't imagine this works out.

If you want a regular production humbucker, you describe Seymour Duncan's '59, it sounds like a perfect fit. Your '57 is more valuable so you should have no problems coming out even after selling the 57.

11. rcboals

The TV Jones did the trick it is a totally different sounding guitar. It has that Gretsch filtron sound like Setzer biting growl bright really responds when you attack the strings. Worth every penny and now I have a very cool rockabilly guitar.
    [​IMG]