Make my '59 Bassman sound like a JCM800...What pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TonePowers, Jun 5, 2008.

1. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

You know the drill.......search and search, play and play, buy and buy, trade and trade.......I've played tons of pedals and just can't seem to get that big, grinding JCM800 sound I am looking for in a pedal through my Bassman. I'm currently using a MI Audio Crunch Box. Other pedals claiming to be Marshall'esque seem to be designed to be played through a Marshall and often sound buzzy through a Fender. I am looking at some Wampler pedals that have great sound clips but no one carries them to try through my rig before purchase. Any suggestions?

2. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

try a menatone King of the Britains.....works for me. you can hear one on my profile song on myspace....that's a menatone KOB into a super reverb

3. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

I use a Menatone Red Snapper and it is one of my all time favorites for light grind. Great pedal.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm a Marshall guy through and through and I recently made the switch to a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue and pedals for ease of transport (even though the amp is heavy as hell.)

Anyway, I stumbled upon a Wampler Plextortion and used it with the Twin the other night at a gig. I'm amazed with this pedal! It made that combo sound like a raging half-stack! Yes, I'm serious. The pedal is SUPER punchy and aggressive and is just perfect for the hard rock tone I like.

However, I'm not so sure it sounds like a single channel JCM800. That's how it's described by the builder, but it has alot more gain on tap and is much more aggressive than any single channel JCM800 I've owned. Sounds like a modded Marshall, but not a stock one to me. Maybe it's just the way I have it dialed in? Not sure. But it's a freaking KILLER pedal.

Since I'm on this pedal kick, I have a Wampler Pinnacle2 and a Menatone King of the Britains on the way to me right now. Should get one or both today and I'll run them through the paces very soon. I'll report back.

But the Wampler Plextortion impressed me so much that I had to try his Pinnacle2 pedal too!

5. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Yeah, I've talked to Brian several times and the sound clips are very impressive for his Marshall style pedals. Good to hear from someone that actually owns one.

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

The "Red Light Mind" song? That does sound like a mix between a JCM800 and a Super Lead. Cool tune, tones, and playing! I hope I can get those tones out of the KOTB with my rig. If so, I'll be very happy!

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Well to be honest, I've only had it a week. I got it last Friday and tried it for 30 minutes or so before the gig. I decided to use it as my main distortion tone (90% of our tunes) that night at a full 4 hour gig and man, I was SUPER impressed. It sounded massive. I couldn't believe I had a combo sounding that big. Still can't quite get over it.

The presence knob is SUPER powerful on this pedal, though. Anything above like 8:00 or 9:00 o'clock and it has a super harsh buzz. That was discouraging at first, then I realized it smooths out when reducing the presence. Also, this Twin sounds MUCH better up a little louder. That helps reduce the buzz too.

I cut through like a mofo and my playing was spot on because of the great tone.

I'm playing again this weekend and plan to compare the Plextortion, Pinnacle2, and KOTB in a live setting.

8. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Cool. Let me know which one you like the best. I will see Brian in a couple of weeks at Summer NAMM.

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Will do! I'll report back. The Box of Rock is next on my list too.

10. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

I was not impressed with the Box of Rock. Sounds fine through a Marshall but buzzy through a Fender.

11. fishlog

fishlog Member

I just don't get why people buy Fender stuff and then want it to sound like Marshall or Gibson stuff? Maybe this is a stupid question and I don't mean to be insulting but why didn't you just get a a JCM 800 instead of the Bassman.

The only true solution is to own both

12. dave s

dave s Member

MI Audio Crunch Box. Low-cost option. :AOK

dave

13. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

I totally get that.....It's all in the approach. For me, I need versatility of sound with one smaller rig. So, live I choose to go for a thick fat tube sound in a Bassman and color it with effects. In the studio I would definitely want the real thing.

14. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Some people think it's nice and convenient to get the most tones out of one rig. It's really that simple.

For the past 10 years or more, I've gigged with good quality half-stacks. Stuff from Peavey, Marshall, Diezel, Bogner, VHT, etc... Real nice sounding stuff. I sold almost all of that recently and scaled back to a Fender Twin combo and am experimenting with pedals to get a close approximation of those tones in one rig. I thought for sure it would be an uphill battle (or maybe even impossible) until I played last weekend with the Wampler Plextortion into the Twin. Now I'm convinced that with the right pedals, I can have some of the best tone ever in a smaller single rig.

15. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Lovepedal PP800

Love it.

16. Craig Walker

Many people look for Fender 'cleans' with Marshall 'dirt'....

They like certain aspects of each flavor.

17. TonePowers

TonePowers Member

Hmm....haven't seen the Lovepedal PP800. His other stuff is killer though.

18. Craig Walker

Check my clip in my sig.

It kills at high gain stuff [80s metal] and you can dial it down to some nice mid-dirt stuff [classic 70s]...

My clip is with a Marshall set clean, but i loved it with a Fender clone I had too.

btw, my opinion only, but it is much better than the Crunchbox. I own one, and A/B'd them. The PP is much more 'amplike' and the CB has a mid nasal quality I didn't like [vs the PP]

19. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

The Fetto doesn't care what amp it's played through...it has heavy sweet Marshally tones.

20. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

And one of the better options... ;)